Need an emblem for 707 greenie

Started by 1badf350, March 24, 2019, 04:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I have five green spinfishers and none of them have a medallion.  Some I lost myself way back when and some were bought more recently without one.  A reel that is well-used is much less likely to have one.  I wonder if the problem is not so much about being knocked around, but some sort of oxidation of the adhesive from exposure to the elements.

To Tony from Penn, do you guys still have the die those things were stamped with?

Out of curiosity, what are they worth?  Asking twenty bucks for a 'Z' series medallion sounds crazy.

-steve

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on July 08, 2019, 12:30:13 AM
I have five green spinfishers and none of them have a medallion.  Some I lost myself way back when and some were bought more recently without one.  A reel that is well-used is much less likely to have one.  I wonder if the problem is not so much about being knocked around, but some sort of oxidation of the adhesive from exposure to the elements.

To Tony from Penn, do you guys still have the die those things were stamped with?

Out of curiosity, what are they worth?  Asking twenty bucks for a 'Z' series medallion sounds crazy.

-steve
I have seen 706 for $15 to $20,,,,,,but that was 2years back,,,,,,, ;D

wfjord

The old glue used to hold the emblems on my green spinfishers had definitely degraded and lost its adhesiveness.  They more or less fell off during cleaning or popped off when I slightly pried them; fortunately I didn't lose any.  I cleaned off the remnants of the old glue with a dental pick and reattached them with epoxy. Those emblems are very delicate.

foakes

One will likely pop up on ebay, or somewhere on here pretty soon.

If not, and it were mine —

I would take a 704 badge to a jeweler or trophy shop.  Then have them change the numeral 4 to a number 7.  Not too hard.  Just flatten out the 4 with a small punch + a watchmakers or jewelers anvil — smooth it so the 4 was never there.  Then delicately make a 7 to match the existing 7 — from the back side with tiny jewelers tools.  They have to tools, expertise, and skills to do this so that it would be a perfect match.

That is an expensive and rare reel.  It deserves a properly badged sideplate.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

Quote from: oc1 on July 08, 2019, 12:30:13 AM
I have five green spinfishers and none of them have a medallion.
I lied.  One of them has a medallion. Seventy-five bucks takes the 716 medallion with free shipping.  For a hundred I'll include the reel.  :) :)
-steve

Caranx

Steve,
Are you going to epoxy that emblem in now before it's too late??😆
Aloha,
Stuart

oc1

Quote from: Caranx on July 08, 2019, 11:12:20 AM
Steve,
Aloha,
Stuart
No, I'm going to pry it off and sell it on ebay.  ;)
-steve

George6308

The one NOS 710 Greenie side plate I have, had the emblem fall off when I dropped it onto the floor. They seemed to have been glued on with some type of rubber cement. I use Wellwood contact cement to reattach they, both the greenie's and the lasted "Z's".

Caranx

Quote from: oc1 on July 08, 2019, 07:25:12 PM
Quote from: Caranx on July 08, 2019, 11:12:20 AM
Steve,
Aloha,
Stuart
No, I'm going to pry it off and sell it on ebay.  ;)
-steve

Even better yet!!! 👍🏼🧐😀

oc1

I really screwed-up this little project.... not once, but twice.  I don't know why anyone would want to do it, but it is probably possible.
-steve

Crow

I think you're on the right track, Steve !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on July 11, 2019, 08:37:06 PM
I really screwed-up this little project.... not once, but twice.  I don't know why anyone would want to do it, but it is probably possible.
-steve

You might think you've screwed up, but I don't think so.
I'm learning quite a bit from you.
You keep on screwing up, just don't ever Give it up😉.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

I did see online where this man was making them out of plastic or something,,,,,it like your on to something,,,,,,, ;D

George6308

Micro-mark carries the casting supplies but they do not seem to be cost effective.
A 3D printer could also be used to reproduce the emblem if anybody has access to a 3D printer. Shapeways can also reproduce it in plastic or various metals via 3D printing if one has no access to a 3D printer however I do not know what the cost would be.
Both methods are used by Model Railroaders.

oc1

Our kid has 3D printers.  But, the medallion is different on every model so each one would have to be scanned and digitized.  Setting up the cam program to feed into the printer and all that stuff is the hard and tedious part.  I doubt that there would be enough demand to justify it.

The time required for a one-off casting would be a fraction of the time required for a one-off 3D printing.

-steve