alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Need an emblem for 707 greenie
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 21, 2019, 05:00:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need an emblem for 707 greenie  (Read 1145 times)
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 04:30:13 PM »

I have five green spinfishers and none of them have a medallion.  Some I lost myself way back when and some were bought more recently without one.  A reel that is well-used is much less likely to have one.  I wonder if the problem is not so much about being knocked around, but some sort of oxidation of the adhesive from exposure to the elements.

To Tony from Penn, do you guys still have the die those things were stamped with?

Out of curiosity, what are they worth?  Asking twenty bucks for a 'Z' series medallion sounds crazy.

-steve
Benni3

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 06:31:36 PM »

I have five green spinfishers and none of them have a medallion.  Some I lost myself way back when and some were bought more recently without one.  A reel that is well-used is much less likely to have one.  I wonder if the problem is not so much about being knocked around, but some sort of oxidation of the adhesive from exposure to the elements.

To Tony from Penn, do you guys still have the die those things were stamped with?

Out of curiosity, what are they worth?  Asking twenty bucks for a 'Z' series medallion sounds crazy.

-steve
I have seen 706 for $15 to $20,,,,,,but that was 2years back,,,,,,, Grin
wfjord

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 07:03:14 PM »

The old glue used to hold the emblems on my green spinfishers had definitely degraded and lost its adhesiveness.  They more or less fell off during cleaning or popped off when I slightly pried them; fortunately I didn't lose any.  I cleaned off the remnants of the old glue with a dental pick and reattached them with epoxy. Those emblems are very delicate.
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 08:53:47 PM »

One will likely pop up on ebay, or somewhere on here pretty soon.

If not, and it were mine ó

I would take a 704 badge to a jeweler or trophy shop.  Then have them change the numeral 4 to a number 7.  Not too hard.  Just flatten out the 4 with a small punch + a watchmakers or jewelers anvil ó smooth it so the 4 was never there.  Then delicately make a 7 to match the existing 7 ó from the back side with tiny jewelers tools.  They have to tools, expertise, and skills to do this so that it would be a perfect match.

That is an expensive and rare reel.  It deserves a properly badged sideplate.

Best,

Fred

Patience...and the rewards that come with it -- need to be experienced...otherwise, it isn't patience!

What's the difference between a worthwhile plan and a vision?

Your good, worthwhile  plan will always keep changing...However, a good vision will always remain constant and unchanging...
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 12:02:09 AM »

I have five green spinfishers and none of them have a medallion.
I lied.  One of them has a medallion. Seventy-five bucks takes the 716 medallion with free shipping.  For a hundred I'll include the reel.  Smiley Smiley
-steve

* 20190707_171944.jpg (2831.11 KB, 2988x5312 - viewed 29 times.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:04:36 AM by oc1 » Logged
Caranx
Firearms Group

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 03:12:20 AM »

Steve,
Are you going to epoxy that emblem in now before itís too late??😆
Aloha,
Stuart
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »

Steve,
Aloha,
Stuart
No, I'm going to pry it off and sell it on ebay.  Wink
-steve
George6308

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2019, 12:13:11 PM »

The one NOS 710 Greenie side plate I have, had the emblem fall off when I dropped it onto the floor. They seemed to have been glued on with some type of rubber cement. I use Wellwood contact cement to reattach they, both the greenie's and the lasted "Z's".
Caranx
Firearms Group

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 03:39:25 PM »

Steve,
Aloha,
Stuart
No, I'm going to pry it off and sell it on ebay.  Wink
-steve

Even better yet!!! 👍🏼🧐😀
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 12:37:06 PM »

I really screwed-up this little project.... not once, but twice.  I don't know why anyone would want to do it, but it is probably possible.
-steve

Crow

Dauphin Island Sunset

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 12:56:00 PM »

I think you're on the right track, Steve !

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 01:03:59 PM »

I really screwed-up this little project.... not once, but twice.  I don't know why anyone would want to do it, but it is probably possible.
-steve

You might think youíve screwed up, but I donít think so.
Iím learning quite a bit from you.
You keep on screwing up, just donít ever Give it up😉.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Benni3

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 04:24:03 PM »

I did see online where this man was making them out of plastic or something,,,,,it like your on to something,,,,,,, Grin
George6308

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 04:55:53 PM »

Micro-mark carries the casting supplies but they do not seem to be cost effective.
A 3D printer could also be used to reproduce the emblem if anybody has access to a 3D printer. Shapeways can also reproduce it in plastic or various metals via 3D printing if one has no access to a 3D printer however I do not know what the cost would be.
Both methods are used by Model Railroaders.
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 09:07:13 PM »

Our kid has 3D printers.  But, the medallion is different on every model so each one would have to be scanned and digitized.  Setting up the cam program to feed into the printer and all that stuff is the hard and tedious part.  I doubt that there would be enough demand to justify it.

The time required for a one-off casting would be a fraction of the time required for a one-off 3D printing.

-steve
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:09:46 PM by oc1 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: