Lubricating Bearings..

Started by basenjib123, March 26, 2019, 02:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

What do ya'll prefer to lubricate the DQ Spinning Reel Ball Bearings with? ... I've been using reel-x myself.

Bryan Young

I use CorrosionX mixed with TSI301. Seems to work great.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

I've been using CorrosionX HD and it's been working out very well.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gobi King

2 factors to consider when picking a lube

1. Which lube
2. How often

If you read through the threads from way way way back, you will see that the super duper oils gave super duper lubricity but lasted 2 or 3 trips.

You need to study the properties of a lube to figure out how often it will last,

My secret sauce:

TSI first let it dry and then a dash of Corro,

I relube my salt reels after every trip, I rinse dry and relube them,

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Midway Tommy

Well I see it quite a bit different than most when it comes to open face spinners. I see absolutely no reason to have long free spinning main pinion bearings in a spinning reel because it really serves no purpose. There is no free spool, the bail is open so line automatically flows freely from the spool. I want a smooth well lubricated main bearing that will not fail me. With that said, I lubricate all my pinion ball bearings with a quality synthetic oil like Reel X, Oust, Liquid Bearings, etc., then fill the space on both sides with Super Lube and add a couple more drops of oil to thin the grease just a little. You can feel a some resistance when just turning the handle but on the water, when it really counts with a fish on, there's no noticeable resistance. I don't do a lot of plug casting with a spinner so when there's a fish on is where I want my bearings to perform their best.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 26, 2019, 06:38:24 PM
Well I see it quite a bit different than most when it comes to open face spinners. I see absolutely no reason to have long free spinning main pinion bearings in a spinning reel because it really serves no purpose. There is no free spool, the bail is open so line automatically flows freely from the spool. I want a smooth well lubricated main bearing that will not fail me. With that said, I lubricate all my pinion ball bearings with a quality synthetic oil like Reel X, Oust, Liquid Bearings, etc., then fill the space on both sides with Super Lube and add a couple more drops of oil to thin the grease just a little. You can feel a some resistance when just turning the handle but on the water, when it really counts with a fish on, there's no noticeable resistance. I don't do a lot of plug casting with a spinner so when there's a fish on is where I want my bearings to perform their best.     
I agree Tommy. Bearings on the main gear don't really matter much, but the pinion bearing really makes a difference.
I've been using Shimano premium grease straight out of the bottle and really like it.
I do not like to have my bearing opened with just oil, I don't mind having them opened, but I like to pack them with grease.
This stuff is really smooth, it will also work on gears.  It pulls itself on the gear like magnet,  instead of coming off likesome other types.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

I used to use Evinrude blue grease, but now use Cals reel grease on spin reel bearings.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n