Mitchell 306 going cheap on ebay

Started by festus, March 26, 2019, 02:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Most of the time the 306 on ebay is very affordable.  Sometimes decent looking ones go for 6-10 bucks to a little over 20 bucks.  I've even seen a new in box go for as low as $20-$30. I noticed last night a NIB with an extra spool went for $26 plus shipping.

I've never owned one but I serviced one for a friend a year or so ago.  From what I remember, it reminded me of an overgrown 308.

Anyone care to speculate why they're so inexpensive?  Was there a big surplus of those made, or maybe they didn't sell so well on the shelves back in the day?.  Do they suffer some type of defect or is a certain part susceptible to failure?

happyhooker

A brother-in-law used one as his primary reel for 30+ yrs.  In fact, I'm not sure I ever saw him use anything else.  After he retired, he went fishing at least 4-5 times a week, using the 306.  He was not the type to sit down and take a reel apart to clean, lube, etc., altho I suppose he did so once in awhile.  Pike, bass, walleye and smaller fish--he caught plenty.  He would've ditched this reel in a flurry of four-letter words if it let him down, and since he never did, I consider that a fairly decent testimonial of the longevity and usefulness of this reel.

I like Mitchell, but have never used a 306; now that I think about my relative, maybe I should start.

Frank

mo65

Quote from: festus on March 26, 2019, 02:43:59 PM
Anyone care to speculate why they're so inexpensive?  Was there a big surplus of those made, or maybe they didn't sell so well on the shelves back in the day?.  Do they suffer some type of defect is a certain part susceptible to failure?

They had to have sold well...with so many in the marketplace now. I've never heard any circles complaining about them, but they are a lighter build style, at least for heavy fresh/light salt use. I think prices go up and down for no apparent reason. I paid $75 for a boxed 406 a few years ago, and at that time it was the going rate. Just saw one sell for $40 a few days ago. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

306/307 Mitchell's are good reels.

Simple, solid, bearing, good components, nice size for Stripers, Salmon, Lakers, Cats.

Easy to disassemble and service.

It is a midsize reel that falls between the 300 size, and the 302 size.

They can also be used as a light saltwater reel — but like any salt reel, much more service is required, as well as decreased longevity — but they will do the job well for surf & pier fishing.

Don't be concerned about low prices — that is not an indicator of a poor-quality reel — just the fact that most folks are not that familiar with them — and the herd seems to always follow the loudest leader.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

It's the same with the skirted spools. A 986 goes for much less hat a 988. Although it is not anywhere near as easy to find a decent 987 as it is a 989.

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

festus

Too bad they never built a Mitchell/Garcia Mitchell the same size as the 300 but with the gearing setup of the 306/406/308/408.  Nothing wrong with the 300, those and maybe the Zebco 33 were the most sought after reels when I was younger.  But nowadays since I've learned more of reel schematics, I realize there were better choices out there.

The 306/406 pics on ebay usually the reels aren't as nearly salt damaged as the bigger 302/402.  I've never owned a 302 or 402.
From what I've observed of 302/402 schematics and tutorials online, I'd much rather have a D-A-M Quick Super, 550, or 550N.

basenjib123

I have several of the 306 and the DQ 550 ... I like 'em both but I will take the DQ over the Mitchell if I had to choose. 

mo65

Quote from: festus on March 26, 2019, 04:29:27 PM
Too bad they never built a Mitchell/Garcia Mitchell the same size as the 300 but with the gearing setup of the 306/406/308/408. 

I've often pondered that thought too. I guess the 300's design was a source of pride for Mitchell. The spool oscillation design uses all those gears to produce what a simple cam can do! Although the 300 seems like an accident waiting to happen...the number of good working reels for sale says they held up pretty darn good. 8)

Midway Tommy

The 306 is kind of like the ABU/Zebco Cardinal 6 & Dam 330 in that it is seen as a little to big for smaller fish and not big enough for the big fish. When they came out people didn't worry about size or weight but it didn't take long before both were the main consideration. All three are good solid reels.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

I've been noticing also that the 410s are going for peanuts. I've been seeing lots go for $20-30 shipped. That is 20 bucks well spent if you're a 300 fan. The 410 is the deluxe model of the 300 troop. 8)

Gfish

My first saltwater reel was the MG 306 I got in '71. Used that baby for almost everything. Just a couple of years ago I decided it was worn out and needed replacing, but with what?...Another 306! Of course, only with less wear. Got one from da bay and it worked out.
Nowadays, I'm spoiled when it comes to having the rotor brake that comes on modern spinners. The rotor moving, while casting with the 306, causing the bail to snap shut prematurely drives me nuts and sometimes loses me terminal tackle. I've had to relegate it to a light-duty bottom fishing reel. When you wanna get to the bottom quick with relatively light terminal tackle weight, you can't beat a spinner.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

I found a 306 for six bucks and change plus shipping.  Not the prettiest, looks a little cankered on the bail arm, but all the parts are there and I gave it a good cleaning and re-lube.

BTW, the serial # is 630764.  Is there a way to determine the approximate date of manufacture for the 306?  I know there is a chart for the 300 on the Mitchell Museum site.