Penn 12/0 - Binding issue

Started by Marlinmate, March 28, 2019, 01:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Guy gives me an older 12/0...bushings...not bearings..with a red handle.  Pretty sweet actually.

Says that under heavy shark fishing loads, the reel binds to where it takes 2 people to reel it in. The reel does have the original drag washers in it...look like asbestos with thick brass washers. I've recommended he replace those.

Problem is....the spool's innerside is rubbing the bottom of the bridge (see pic with ring around spool)  I figure I could do the following:

1. Grind away the sharp ridge on the bottom of the bridge
2. Shim somehow.  Part 154-1117 is a shim.   Where would I shim a non-bearing reel to move the spool away from the bridge?

Or a combination of both?
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Swami805

I'd shim it 1st in the handle side bushing to move it away from the bridge a little. That assuming you can't move it over by simply adjusting the bushings. I'm thinking grinding as a last resort. Is it a 3 piece spool? Might be an issue if it is, one of the flanges is out of wack or something.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Marlinmate

How do I shim it in the bushing as you mention?   

Shark Hunter

Use a thin washer between the bushing and the end of the spool to move it away a little bit. Back off the non handle bushing or you could crack the plate putting it back together.
Your spool is warped or your side plates have swelled inward.
I've had a reel do this. I swapped the side plates and it never hit.
Probably been sitting on its side for years.
If you have a heavy duty drill. Chuck the spool in it and giver her a whirl. That will tell you right then if it is warped.
Life is Good!

Marlinmate

not only would the washer have to fit between the bushing and the end of the spool, it would have to be small enough in diameter so the pinion gear could ride over it.

Anyone have anything like that?

Is it possible that the spool is expanding outwards with loads of drag on it? perhaps fishing braid line?

Swami805

Something like a small dot that drops into the bushing that moves the spool shaft over a little, shouldn't interfere with the pinion. Check the spool to see if it spins true so you can eliminate that from the get go. Mono can do a number on a spool too.

Marlinmate

McMaster has some SS shims that are 6mm ID by 8MM OD...and .03 thick.  I'll try those.

When I spin the spool, I can see it's warped some.  The gaps open and close near the inner rings.

Swami805

If the spool's off might try grinding and see if that helps. Shimming won't help much if that's whats wrong.

alantani

actually, i'd replace the bushings.  they are likely worn that's the cheapest and quickest fix if you are going to start somewhere. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marlinmate

Anyone have a 26-116 bushing they are willing to part with?

Tightlines667

If you need to shim, consider delron dots inside the bushing.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Marlinmate

Tightlines667

Quote from: Marlinmate on March 29, 2019, 04:22:35 AM
Does one make those?

Yes you can buy delron sheets and a hole punch and make them.  Some members mqy have a few extra, Sal gave me some awhile back.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

You are dealing with a Dinosaur here.
Nothing wrong with that.
I love catching Giant Fish with these, but your quest is going to be tough.
That reel is older than dirt.
I don't know if I still have plates, but I will look.
Life is Good!