2062 Heaviest Line

Started by Rivverrat, March 28, 2019, 11:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Just got this rig a few weeks back. I was looking for thoughts on using 30 - 40 braid with drag set @5 lbs.

Any one with experience using braid on this reel?

...Jeff

festus

No Jeff, I haven't run braid on my 2062, but I run 12 lb braid (Gliss) on my smaller 2052 with no problem.

Rivverrat

I think the lip of the spool is a bit different on the 2052 vs 62

mo65

I'm using 30lb. braid on my 2065 with no troubles so far. My brother spooled his 2062 with 30lb. also...but it hasn't been used yet. It did cast well though. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

OK, I think I will do this. Also I find it hard to believe that 5 lbs. of drag would stress this reel. Ive not fished this reel or any other Shakespeare from this era so I'm running in the dark here... Jeff   

mo65

Hey Jeff, the one weak link that comes to mind on these reels is the click gear/bushing. On some models it is plastic. It must have been a brittle plastic because it seems prone to cracking. Read this whole thread...Tommy demostrates how to fix the offending part.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25104.0

Depending on the year manufactured that bushing may be plastic...may be metal. Just pop your spool off and check. You can use this chart to date your reel. The date code is on the side plate...it will be two digits like "EE" or "DC". 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Jeff's reel appears to be one of the earlier 2062 versions so I doubt very much that it has a plastic click bushing.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

Hey thanks to both of you. I'm going to go look right now... Jeff

steelfish

Nice reel Jeff

what rod are you thinking to use with that reel?
The Baja Guy

festus

That is a really nice 2062.

I spooled one of mine up with 20 lb PowerPro braid this afternoon. 

happyhooker

Quote from: festus on March 30, 2019, 01:14:48 AM

How much 20 lb. did you get on the spool?

Frank

festus

Quote from: happyhooker on March 30, 2019, 02:24:29 AM
Quote from: festus on March 30, 2019, 01:14:48 AM

How much 20 lb. did you get on the spool?

Frank
150 yds plus mono backing.

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on March 29, 2019, 11:32:24 PM
Nice reel Jeff

what rod are you thinking to use with that reel?

Here you go Alex,    https://www.unitedcompositesusa.com/products/saltwater/drum_stix/

UW65 MHXF   6'6"   XTRA-FAST   10-17   1   3/16 - 5/8   5   .53   1.90.

However my heart & mind both is telling me a certain Quick model would be better suited to that rod or even the next blank up... Jeff

nelz

I just dug up my old 2062 and am wanting to use it for some light freshwater. However, I'm finding that mono line twists sooo badly on this reel, that maybe braid is a better choice. The amount of line twist is ridiculous!  :o  I grew up on these reels/mono, but don't remember having major issues in the field.

So what's the scoop, is braid working well on these reels?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: nelz on December 05, 2021, 03:23:46 AM
I just dug up my old 2062 and am wanting to use it for some light freshwater. However, I'm finding that mono line twists sooo badly on this reel, that maybe braid is a better choice. The amount of line twist is ridiculous!  :o  I grew up on these reels/mono, but don't remember having major issues in the field.

So what's the scoop, is braid working well on these reels?

I don't ever use braid other than original old braided nylon on a couple of old spinners for nostalgic purposes, so I can't help you there. Have you checked to make sure the line guide is free and rolling? Also, what weight & quality of mono are you using? Cheap & heavy mono seems to twist worse than the good stuff like Trilene or Stren. Depending on the type of fishing you're doing a swivel will help, too.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)