Fathom Master 625

Started by Tightlines667, March 30, 2019, 05:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I recently aquired a used Penn Fathom Master 625 manual downrigger from a friend.  I broke the unit down into all component pieces, ran the parts through a sonic cleaner in 50:50 Simple Green: Water, cleaned all parts with steel wool, rinsed, dried, lubed w/Penn Blue, and reassembled.  Fairly simple to service.  There are 3-clips, and 2 snap rings.  Drag washers are Teflon/plastic composite, 4 gears are plastic, drive shaft is bronze, antireverse ratchet is pot metal, dog and remaining components are stainless.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

David Hall

I've a couple of them in my storage shed.  They were my first set of downriggers and I ran them for 7-8 seasons before getting my first electrics.  Never had a single problem with them.

akfish

If you are going to use it, I'd recommend keeping a couple extra dog springs in the boat. These were good downriggers, but had a problem with their dogs such that the spring break too often.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tightlines667

Quote from: akfish on March 30, 2019, 12:06:55 PM
If you are going to use it, I'd recommend keeping a couple extra dog springs in the boat. These were good downriggers, but had a problem with their dogs such that the spring break too often.

Already got a few.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Done!
Hope springs eternal

conchydong

I am a fan of the Fathom Masters. Some of my best fish have been caught using them especially when I used to slow troll live baits with them. Simple but functional. Nice tutorial.