I believe Daiwa made one of these new reels, but am unsure on the second

Started by FlipFlopRepairShoppe, March 30, 2019, 10:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Just acquired two reels, an Ocean Star No. 36, and an Ocean City 320. I believe that the Ocean Star was made by Daiwa, but does anyone know who made my new Ocean City?  It's a US made reel, so I apologize if this is completely out of place here on the Daiwa forum, but perhaps someone can confirm who made both of these reels.  I've posted pics of them below.  They are the sellers original pictures since I don't have both in hand yet.

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

Frank

That Ocean City is really sharp looking reel. Love that over sized rotor cup.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

foakes

Ocean City made their own spinning reels in Philadelphia, FF —

OC did produce many reels for other companies over the years, on a contract basis — and these reels were generally slightly different in coloration — then usually re-badged.

The OC spinning reels are a good quality reel.

For a nice set — look for a 300, 310, 330, and 350 to match your 320.  All of these models are different colors, sizes, as well as different designs — but they are all from the same era of the 50's.

The 350 "Spin-Along" — will blow your mind.  It looks like half of it is missing — but it is just a basic, simple spinning reel — that actually functions very well.

Lot of history there — and at this point, not very expensive...yet.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Yes, the Ocean Star 36 was made in the late '60s by Daiwa.

The 320 was from the mid '50s and Ocean City's largest reel.

True Temper acquired Ocean City in late '57/early '58 and sold reals under the Ocean City, True Temper & Montague names. They made some Sport Kings for Montgomery Wards, too. True Temper purchased Bronson in '67 so there are a lot of variants out there.   

Here's the OC 350 Fred was talking about:
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thank you gentleman! 

I've seen those 350s in my searches, when I first learned about Ocean City reels a few days ago.  You're right, they are VERY different looking reels.  If I find one for a modest price I will tuck it on a shelf waiting for a freshwater outing.  As of right now I'm hunting down inexpensive large surf capable spinning reels for my stable.  I'm looking forward to having a set of completely oddball vintage surf reels (fully serviced but not repainted) to take out sandbar fishing down here in Destin. 

New reels just don't tickle my fancy the way these 50s and 60s reels do.  Besides, bringing them back to 100% operation is more than half the fun.  So, reel mechanics who have more experience than I (which is all of you), please throw advice and tips at me!
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

When I bought the Ocean City from the big auction site, the seller said that the bail mechanism had damage and would need an overhaul.  Can anyone point me in the directions of where to start here?  I can probably figure out a solution once it's in hand, but I'd much rather learn from a more knowledgeable mechanic and fix it the right way.  The first two pictures are from the seller, and the third picture is from a completed reel that I do not own.

foakes

You should be able to get that 320 going.

Main thing would be a complete evacuation of all sand and crud — clean up — then reassemble with modern lubes to repel salt somewhat and run smoother.

Here is a schematic that works for most of the 300-310-320-340 reels.

Plus, if needed, I have a complete 320 that has not been made into a lamp as of yet — that I could help you to compare to yours.

Received your mailing info — will send out the parts for the 270 Super tomorrow.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thank you again, sir!  That diagram will be useful when opening up and examining what might possibly be going on in the reel.  I'm amazed that you had a schematic for these reel types, seeing that they're not terribly popular reels anywhere that I can find.  They seem like they are very robustly built, and that short body with the flying saucer rotor cup is probably the coolest design that I've ever seen on a large surf reel.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

No matter what I've tried, I cannot get the bail mechanism on the 320 to fit together.  I must be missing pieces in the assembly.  After buying a new reel foot housing I've got the reel bolted solidly back together.  She's at least in one piece again, but I'm chalking this one up as the second loss in this run.

Ocean Star No. 36.  My fishing buddy bought one on my recommendation, and got it in.  The housing screws are stuck in so badly that I can't get them out, so I swapped his rarer spool and handle off his and put them on mine and gave it to him.  I'm at a loss on how to extract this screw.  It's just chipping itself to pieces at this point.  My ocean star had stronger steel screws installed, instead of the brass ones on his. I'm not letting anyone take a hit because of me so I was glad to swap him. Fourth loss in this run.