alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Lathe
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
April 25, 2019, 01:50:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lathe  (Read 1507 times)
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2019, 05:55:01 AM »

It is an expensive hobby for sure Joe., but what's money when you're having fun Smiley

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2019, 12:10:10 PM »

It is an expensive hobby for sure Joe., but what's money when you're having fun Smiley

Sal

Grin Grin Grin Yea.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
Makule

Many years ago - Papaikou, Hawaii, USA

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2019, 11:20:40 PM »

I have used the water method for houses, but a machinist level is super accurate, especially since you will only be measuring across less than a foot.  Measure across the ways at the headstock and then measure across the ways at the end of the bed.  That is the twist that you are trying to eliminate.

Joe, it is no secret that you're up in years, it is nice to see that you still have so much fire in you...I love it! I wish you many years of enjoyment with that lathe.

Makule, I thank you for your advice. Keep in mind, i'm not a machinist. I've had and still have wood lathe, I know how to use them very well, the metal lathe is just something I always wanted to try.

By the way, the most accurate level is a 1/2' clear hose filled with water.  You will never find anything more accurate and the distance is unlimited  Smiley, that is the level i learned with while in Italy.

I do have some nice levels from Germany.

Sal

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2019, 01:42:12 PM »

I was making a backing plate for my four jaw chuck today, Ruth was the photographer I just sat and looked at what the machine was doing.

Joe

* South Bend 10K 14.jpg (78.66 KB, 640x480 - viewed 3 times.)

* South Bend 10K 15.jpg (74.48 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2 times.)

* South Bend 10K 16.jpg (92.15 KB, 640x480 - viewed 3 times.)

* South Bend 10K 18.jpg (63.71 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2 times.)

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2019, 01:44:47 PM »

One more of the finished plate.

Joe

* South Bend 10K 17.jpg (72.96 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2 times.)

Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2019, 02:15:43 PM »

Beautiful work Joe, that lathe means business.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2019, 04:16:33 PM »

The most important thing I have learned about dealing with the now so-called Grizzly/South Bend company now, is they are not the old company that originated the South Bend Lathe company. No sir, they are everything but. I have tried to deal with them serval times with 98% negative experience.

The service is not there, the people are just there to answer phone calls and no help whatsoever.

Prices are out of control. Example; I recently purchased a replacement drive belt for the lathe $120.00 shipped then I found out it was split and had to be glued together, the person that sold the belt did not tell me that! So I called today to find out the product I needed. He said "we have it" $ 78.00 for adhesive for a 3/4" belt and about 2" that has to be glued: Smiley Huh? Shocked. Well, I told him no thanks and that is the last time I will be calling Grizzly.

I called McMasters to ask what they would recommend they told me and it was $23.00. A $53.00 savings.

Joe

alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2019, 04:25:41 PM »

well, i can tell you right now that i won't ever be buying a lathe!   Grin

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2019, 06:24:37 PM »

well, i can tell you right now that i won't ever be buying a lathe!   Grin

Alan: That is my experience with Grizzly. Other company's that I deal with, and it's many, are great and want to please. A lathe is great for doing many projects and I couldn't do without my machines. There are many projects to be accomplished down the road.

Joe

alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2019, 07:56:33 PM »

weird.  a company these days can't stay i business long with a bad attitude.  hopefully you just caught them on a bad day.   Undecided

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2019, 05:22:30 AM »

weird.  a company these days can't stay I business long with a bad attitude.  hopefully, you just caught them on a bad day.   Undecided

Not likely, it was several times. That's the way they are. My take on it is people put up with it because that is the way it is in this world today. I'm not willing to do that, but certainly, I'm not your average Joe. No pun intended.  Grin

Joe

Ron Jones
Firearms Group

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2019, 10:29:12 AM »

Grizzly moves a lot of product, and has a competitive price point. It is getting to the point that even lathes are throw away, that means you don't need a lot of technical support to stay in business; most of your clients will just buy another one.
Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2019, 11:26:12 AM »

Ron: Personally I don't care what other people do, I am only interested in saving old reels, equipment, and old tooling. Another word I like old things. They last.

As far as Grizzly, I sent the overpriced belt back and bought another for half the price. This old Joe is not going to get caught up in the world with nonsense like others are.

I know what your point was, and it's well taken.

Joe
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:29:46 AM by Reel 224 » Logged

oc1
Sensei

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »

I don't think you can blame them much for not providing parts for a product that was sold that long ago by a predecessor company.  What's it been... sixty or seventy years?  You can't even get parts for a Shimano reel made five years ago.  I'm surprised Grizzly will even talk to you about it.  

You're on your own now Joe.  But, from the looks of that fine chuck plate you made it seems you will be fine.
-steve
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:49:38 AM by oc1 » Logged
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2019, 02:19:19 PM »

Steve: I am fine with the lathe, but you have to realize that Grizzly bought out all South Bend old stock and still sells South Bend lathes, and they advertise that they sell old SB NOS. That is what puzzles me???: Smiley.

I have many options to get parts for the old lathe, I just have to figure out what I can adapt so I can do the machining that I have to.

As of now, I have everything that I will need.

Joe

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: