Neighbor Piranha Fishing in Ecuador Feb. 2019

Started by El Pescador, March 31, 2019, 02:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Yes, you read the title correctly!!!

PIRANHA Fishing in Ecuador.

For those of you who have been to our home, the neighbor across the street and 2 houses down took these photos.

He and his wife were doing a eco-sailing trip around the Galapagos Islands - 300 miles west of South America.

After their sailing, they visited Ecuador and for one afternoon, they were fishing for PIRANHA!!!!!

Enjoy the toothy photos!!!

Wayne

here is their fishing guide - they used bamboo cane poles, a lenght of mono and a somewhat sharp hook with a piece of cut-up fish for bait.

He said they were difficult to hold in your hand, you really had to get a good "purchase" on the slabside.

Asked if he touched the sharp teeth to feel exactly how sharp they reely are, he said "NO WAY" - the Piranha have a biting mechanism that cause them to bite down when they feel something against their teeth.  WOW!  That's serious fishing.

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Fishy247

Holy crap! I knew their teeth were gnarly, but WOW! Thanks for the pictures Wayne, don't think I'll be swimming in Ecuador.....

El Pescador

BUTT if you do decide to go swimming...

Best to wear a pair of Swimming Trunks!!!! :o

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Fishy247

Alto Mare

Wayne, I give your neighbor a lot of credit, there is no way I would ever pull the hook out of those.
I hear if you happen to slip in the water, there would be cleaned bones within minutes...no thanks.

They're good to eat though, but you'll never know what you would actually be eating ;D

Thanks for the report.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

now that some extremme fishing !!

thanks for the pics
The Baja Guy

broadway

Sal, they probably taste like beef with all the cows they eat ;D
Thanks for the pics of those toothy critters, Wayne
Dom

biggiesmalls

Awesome fish - they're actually nothing like the movies portray them. If you fell in the water, it'd be the same as if you fell in with any other fish. I've worked with them in aquariums before, they're quite boring.
Unless you've really got them riled up (aka a massive bloody animal fell in the water), you'd be just fine.

There are some places along the Amazon Basin where people catch black piranhas. They're "officially" documented to 16" long and up to about 6 lbs, but there are definitely some out there that are 10+ lbs.

Cool catch -  like canepole bluegills, with teeth!
Drew

Fishy247

A buddy of mine from 20+ years ago had a half dozen little ones(3" or so) in his aquarium. They were pretty mellow until feeding time! A dozen medium sized feeder goldfish would last about 45 seconds tops. Pretty amazing to watch!

Benni3

That looks like fun,,,, :D They quite selling them here because people was turning them loose in Smith mountain lake,,,,, ;D