My first Penn surf reel! 704 greenie

Started by FlipFlopRepairShoppe, March 31, 2019, 09:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

I'm doing my best to amass a collection of the big surf reels from the golden years, and I managed to get a really good deal on this one off the big auction site today.  I've used Penn reels all through my childhood, but this will be the first one that I've actually owned.  I defer to the more experienced reel mechanics here and am asking what in particular I should pay attention to with my tear down and cleaning when she arrives.  An advice is appreciated, as well. Man am I stoked!

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

RUSTY OLD COLT

Make sure you clean and lube the pinion bearing . The last 710 I did was stiff , the grease in the bearing was all dried out . Also check the little bumper under the bail arm cam . They brake off or flatten out over time. I think Scotts still sells the kit to eliminate the bail arm

George6308

Green , actually a blue-green metalic, side plate with emblem is the 2nd edition of the 704. The first one's had a flat aluminum side plate with two shoushes green & blue.
Parts same as the " Z's ".

thorhammer

dude you didn't tell me greenie. sweet.  some have said the Penn green to be the most aesthetic reel color ever. I don't disagree...like a seafoam mist Ford fairlane.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thank you, gentleman!

Yeah, Thor, I can't believe how lucky I got with this one.  I can't wait to get her in and get her fighting ready.  I don't know anything about these reels, so I have alot to learn.  I've heard that they're tanks, though.  I also agree that the green is an amazing color for a reel.  The colors on an Ocean City 300 might beat it out just alittle bit for me, but only by a smidge.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

wailua boy

Congrats on your first greenie! Aesthetically, I actually prefer the black and gold Z's but none the less they are very nice reels.

oc1

Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on March 31, 2019, 09:40:40 PM
what in particular I should pay attention to
They're frustrating for the reel mechanic because there is not much to go wrong.  Better for fishing than tinkering.
-steve

Frank

Quote from: oc1 on April 01, 2019, 07:29:34 AM
Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on March 31, 2019, 09:40:40 PM
what in particular I should pay attention to
They're frustrating for the reel mechanic because there is not much to go wrong.  Better for fishing than tinkering.
-steve

You hit the nail on the head with that one. Almost indestructible.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

These are beautiful things to hear.  I love tinkering with things, but I also love having things that I know that I can push hard without having to worry about fiddling with to make run correctly.

George6308

Make sure you keep the handle knob well oiled, Penn reel, Breakfree  CLP, Lucas, or any reel oil. They freeze up and the silver stock handles are unotainium.
Any good reel grease like Penn's present blue grease or marine grease will work. Muscle grease is another good grease. It was used by Penn.  The original green's Spinfisher Lube  was a moly lube lube sold in a Penn tube. Auto supply stores carry it as moly lube for brake calipers.
You do not need to pack the gear housing full of grease. Use just enough to cover the gear teeth & the face of the main gear for the oscillator arm. Breakfree works on the ball bearing. Do not forget the gear shaft where it goes tru the gear housing and the anti reverse mechanism behind the main gear. Oil the ends of the bail wire too. Just a drop or two wii do.
Keep in serviced and it will last a long time. I also would replace both bail springs and the rubber rotor brake part 21b-704 (50 plus years it has to be deteriorated).

foakes

You won't need much on these old 700, 704, and 706 greenies, Josh —

If ever needed, there is a small kit of (10) parts that I put together many years ago for Surf Fishermen who use these solid old Spinfishers in the salt.

These are the commonly replaced tune-up parts.  Some of the parts are no longer available through typical sources, or Penn.   It I have around 35 kits left from the original 100 I put together years ago.

They are offered to members for $10 per kit.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Fred, I need kit. At least i think i do. i just remembered i have a coffee can special 700 obtained a few years back in an estate deal...at least 20 reels i still haven't looked into yet, including a bagged Mitchell 488 (a favorite), some SS's, a Calcutta 700S, several Quicks and other Z's. I am sending you something else and i will stick $15 in the box to cover shipping. work for you?

foakes

Sure, that is fine, John —

It is already packed, and addressed — and I will drop it off at the Post Office down the hill tomorrow.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Enjoy your reel! And that's a great deal on Fred's kit. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

actually it's gonna cost $5910. I'm gonna have to fly the Oakes' out here to install it. I'd rather tackle a bear than a bail mechanism. I can eat the bear afterward. Damn coffee grinders. I'm with Alan on this one....