My first Penn surf reel! 704 greenie

Started by FlipFlopRepairShoppe, March 31, 2019, 09:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Well, the seller on the big auction site just backed out of the sale after I already paid him, so looks like I don't have a new Penn after all.....

Just wow.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

festus

Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on April 02, 2019, 03:38:16 AM
Well, the seller on the big auction site just backed out of the sale after I already paid him, so looks like I don't have a new Penn after all.....

Just wow.
This isn't the first time this has happened on here.  A while back somebody else had high hopes on a great deal on a Penn spinner but the seller backed out.  ???

foakes

There will be plenty more on the Bay, or elsewhere, Josh —

Don't lose any sleep over it — patience pays off, as does being calm and 😎 cool...

When the time is right, you will find the right reels — at the right price, in decent condition...

Many times in Life — we are protected and looked after — without ever realizing it.

Just best to move on...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, FlipFlop, I'm sure another one will pop up soon, good luck!

Fred, can I get a kit for my newly acquired original 704? Here's a pic of the new beauty. Thank you!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

I agree with you Fred, the sting passes.  As soon as my money is refunded I'm going after another one.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

thorhammer

light him up on feedback.

Darin you shoulnt need a new kit...that reel looks new!!! wow.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Darin Crofton

Quote from: thorhammer on April 03, 2019, 11:15:17 AM
light him up on feedback.

Darin you shoulnt need a new kit...that reel looks new!!! wow.
True it's barely used, but I plan on using it and want the kit for the future  ;D

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thanks 1Bad.  I've got a friend of mine who's a power seller that's working on it for me.  In the meantime I scored a couple of other reels to ease the frustration, lol. A Langley 870 Spinator and a Heddon 270r.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Well, I stuck to my guns and wound up winning this one.  I'd never seen the big auction site get involved in the way they did on this one, and I wound up with my reel! 

Got in yesterday, and I waited a day before opening the package up with rubber gloves and hosed the reel down thoroughly.  I've heard of people doing some nasty stuff to packages, so I'm going to douse the reel in cleaners before I touch her with bare hands.  Even with that being said, I'm still stoked!

I haven't opened her up or even touched her bare handed but I cranked the handle in both anti-reverse and free spool and she feels STRONG.  No snags, and the anti reverse dog is LOUD.  Not a bad thing, I enjoy that kind of clickety clack feedback on vintage stuff.  Half the fun, actually.

Here she is!

Midway Tommy

Good for you! Even if it does need some help at least parts are obtainable.

QuoteI waited a day before opening the package up with rubber gloves and hosed the reel down thoroughly.  I've heard of people doing some nasty stuff to packages, so I'm going to douse the reel in cleaners before I touch her with bare hands.

Interesting safeguard. ???  With close to 1000 eBay purchases I've never once thought of that as being a concern and it's never even crossed my mind. I don't think I'll start now, either. If I thought that might be an I would quit buying online.  :)   

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

99.9% of packages I give no second thoughts to opening.  If it's a normal transaction, hell I'll tear it open with my teeth and not worry about it.  But with how mad this person was, there was no telling if they'd done something juvenile.  Years ago, in West Palm, I had a friend who fought it out with a bad seller and he got his item in the mail covered in a foul smelling substance I won't name.  Angry people have been known to do stupid things.

sandbar

Fred
If you still have any more of those kits, I am interested.
I just purchased a 704 Greenie that I hope to fish in the near future.
I couldn't pass it up for the price. It's a tank.