Too Big, Not Open and Just Right

Started by Hardy Boy, April 01, 2019, 03:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

My buddy and his girl friend come up a couple of times a year to do some diving and take pictures; she is a world class underwater photographer. They dive, I tend and we get a little jigging in, in between dives. Went out yesterday, last day of the 2018 licence so we are still under the old regs with a max halibut size of 115 cm. We jig, I get a bite, miss it, jig again and fish on. oh oh feels too big sure enough with a little wrestling we can get a measurement and its 129 cm, so too big in the low 60 lbs, back it goes, no more bites. They do a dive and then back to a quick jig and I get a nice 18 lb ling, but lings are still closed so a quick pic and back it goes, she gets a bite and misses it, jigs again, fish on with a perfect 110 cm fish right around 35 lbs or so! They also picked up a nice 6 lb Puget Sound king crab which is so tasty, so it was turned into a crab cocktail ! A couple pics of the cliffs and trees and one of the water , flat calm with a touch of fog which burned off into sun. I was using my 114H extra narrow , what a sweet reel.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Hardy Boy

last few pics.

Todd
Todd

gstours

Thanks for the great trip and nice tasty pictures.  I,m glad you got out there and showed us your story.  Maybe show us what a narrow reel you talked about sometime?   Good eating those recent fish.    gst. :)

Ron Jones

Our King crabs do taste amazing. I still think I like Dunges better but its  nice treat to get such a big crab fresh and local.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

That crab cocktail looks delicious! Great fishin'! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

nice! I managed to clean part of my boat. maybe in 2023 i will go fishing :)

Gfish

Yer killin me Hoss! That carb cocktail looks fantastic. 4 teeth torn outta my jaw today by the oral surgeon---no solid food for awhile. Right now my family's torturing me with the smell of garlic butter-everything on it-Pizza...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Thanks Todd, nice story, great photos, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

very nice!  much better than what we have going on here!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Quote from: Gfish on April 02, 2019, 02:59:58 AM
Yer killin me Hoss! That carb cocktail looks fantastic. 4 teeth torn outta my jaw today by the oral surgeon---no solid food for awhile. Right now my family's torturing me with the smell of garlic butter-everything on it-Pizza...

I feel your pain, had three pulled a few weeks back.

MarkT

Just right is alright! That 114n coming to Cedros again?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hardy Boy

Mark: I had the 113H extra narrow at Cedros last year on your rod. The 114H extra narrow is going to go to Washington end of May when I meet up with Ted for a few days. Not sure what to take to Cedros this year. The two speed of Alan's was great on those bigger fish but the 113H worked fine also once I was not afffraid to buttoned it right down. ................ decisions decisions ??? If we get smaller grade fish the larger two speeds would be over kill.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

MarkT

I have multiple 2-speed reels for 40/50/60 so if you want to step it up this year just let me know!  I'll probably go with a JX Raptor with 50# again this year.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: Hardy Boy on April 01, 2019, 03:37:07 PM
so it was turned into a crab cocktail !
Todd

GREAT story, great fishing Todd

first I though Crab cocktail was just a way to name a dish or something not an Actual crab on coctail glass cup

so, do you eat it with a fork just like a crab salad? what the sauce on some of the coctails?
The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

Alex: yes, crushed ice (to keep cold), a bed of ice burg lettuce, shredded cooked crab (or shrimp or prawns) and cocktail sauce (the wife makes with ketchup, horse radish, drop or two of Worcestershire sauce, and I don't know what else), squeeze a little lemon (Or if in Mexico; a lime) and enjoy. Its a salad so use a fork ........... wash down with your favorite cocktail (mine would be an extra strong Margarita)

Cheers:

Todd 
Todd