South Bend — Worth Looking At

Started by foakes, April 01, 2019, 07:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Not wanting to step on Mike and Chester's threads concerning the South Bend reels — here is another personal viewpoint —

South Bend Tackle has been around since the latter part of the 19th century — I have many baitcasters, spinners, and others that are excellent quality reels.

The spinners that Mike and Chester are restoring — are excellent products.  Good components, materials, excellent gears, solid performers.

Like many companies, as the family decides that they would rather retire and take it a little easier — they sell the company to younger firms.  Sometimes this works out as to keeping the quality at a high level — most times, profit motive to pay back acquisition costs and double or triple the value paid for an established quality company — results in inferior products that carry on the original company name.

After 60+ years — South Bend was sold to another company.  That firm already had its tendrils in Asia — so that is where the reels were eventually produced.  

The surprise was — they were not bad reels — still metal bodies, alloy gears (but so were Daiwa, Mitchell, and many others), metal spools, decent drags, low price.

Fast forward to today (many of you will not want to hear this, so turn the sound down, or click off this thread 😃😃😃, so you don't hurt your eyes or ears) —

Who knows how many times South Bend has been sold to others, or blended manufacturing lines?

But, some of the new South Bend reels are an amazing value in terms of performance and price...

Here is a Microlight South Bend, with — (5) ball bearings, aluminum skirted spool, front drag, solid construction, A/R bearing, and more...for $14.50 — with free 2-day shipping from Wal-Mart if over $35.

These are well made as well as attractive.

I bought (6) of these last year, as a combo rod and reel — for about $24 each.

These were intended to be given away to kids — when their Dad's came by the shop to get their reels serviced — or friends and neighbors — to teach kids how to use a open faced spinner, front drag, and cast properly.  I spool these with 4# mono — then attach a practice plug — and the next time the kids come in with their Dad's — they are bragging about the fish they caught.

After looking inside of these — I kept one for myself as a backup — just for fun.  

And just ordered (6) more.

So not all cheap reels are bad.  The knowledge you guys have on Alan's site will enable you to sort out the chaff from the wheat.

Hard to beat those kinds of components for $14.50.  

And for a Microlight reel — they are way above average in construction, components, and materials.

We likely need a South Bend category under Spinners, as well as an Ocean City category also.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

Thanks for the recomendation, Fred. Looks like I found a reel for the grandkids. Couldn't imagine servicing something lie this, 5 bearings! No thanks.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Quote from: foakes on April 01, 2019, 07:26:47 PM
We likely need a South Bend category under Spinners, as well as an Ocean City category also.

I agree Fred. There is a lot of South Bend history out there. Those discount combos you're passing out to the kids have a lot more going for them than my first combo had!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Thanks for the tips, Fred.  South Bend today is part of Big Game International, which also includes Ready 2 Fish, Apex, Matzuo, Mossy Oak, etc.  I did a post "Inexpensive Spinning Reels; What Do You Get?" on this site back in Oct. '17, showing an R2F spinning reel that is probably a couple of notches below the Microlight South Bend Fred has described.  Still, an OK reel for light duty, for the kids to use, or as a loaner to that friend who really knows how to beat up tackle.  Inexpensive.  Toss it in the back seat & always have a reel handy that you don't have to worry about if it gets lost.

Frank

philaroman

WOW   the rod (glass UL 5-footer) seems pretty decent for $20+, too
& the whole combo can be found for $20-25

festus

I've seen those new South Bend microlight reels, Fred, they seemed superior than the comparable Shakespeare Microspin or Quantum Optix for a similar price. Those older 840 are fairly common on ebay. 

Quote from: happyhooker on April 01, 2019, 08:13:35 PM
Thanks for the tips, Fred.  South Bend today is part of Big Game International, which also includes Ready 2 Fish, Apex, Matzuo, Mossy Oak, etc.  I did a post "Inexpensive Spinning Reels; What Do You Get?" on this site back in Oct. '17, showing an R2F spinning reel that is probably a couple of notches below the Microlight South Bend Fred has described.  Still, an OK reel for light duty, for the kids to use, or as a loaner to that friend who really knows how to beat up tackle.  Inexpensive.  Toss it in the back seat & always have a reel handy that you don't have to worry about if it gets lost.

Frank

Frank, I bought my step-grandson one of those Mudville Catfish R2F combos several Christmases ago.  He used it mostly fishing a local municipal duck pond which is stocked for kids and teenagers with trout and catfish.  He caught his first fish with it, and it's still operable to this day. I wouldn't want to hook into a steady diet of big 10 lb carp or cats, or stripers, but for less than 30 bucks it serves him fine.