Molokai Ono Run 03-31

Started by Tightlines667, April 01, 2019, 08:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

The beautiful weather report, and the reports of some Ono around lead us to plan a Molokai run out of Hawaii Kai on my friend Chris Perez's Skipjack. I made up 2 dozen wire ballyhoo rigs, serviced the downrigger and reels, and met Chris and his friend Nick Robb at the boat ramp at 0400hrs.

We ran to Molokai's NW point, I rigged up a dozen ballyhoo, set the 5 bait spread, and started trolling the 40fa around 0630hrs. We picked up 1 mahi, lost one as we turned the corner. Picked up another small Mahi on the short rigger a little while later.

A little while after that, took a hit and a miss from an Ono on the Maurander on the short corner planer, then got chopped off by an Ono on the long center. Picked up a small Ono on the short rigger. We missed another Ono. Pulled the hooks on a Kawa while trying to gig him in the boat o the Marauder.

Got to Kalapapa and caught a nice Bull on the long rigger, laying under a net. As we approached the point the long center and long rigger erupted with splashes/boils. The hooks pulled on the rigger, but we brought a 16lb Shibi to gaff on the center. Then caught a nice 30lb plus ono on the downrigger as we rounded the corner, and a small 10lb ono further down the line on the long rigger. Heading back, we pulled the hooks on a nice ono that was fowl hooked on the Maurader, and got bit off by another Ono on the planer. Finally picked up a nice Ono on the planer at Kalapapa.

We were feeling good about our 4 Ono, 3 Mahi, 1 Shibi day as we headed back along the 40. Halfway back to the point, all 5 lines went off one-by-one. The two deep fish ran nearly 300yards off the 9/0s, so we focused on landing the 3 fish on the 130s first. One-by one we brought each fish to gaff, then tackled the last 2 bigger fish on standup gear. 25 minutes later we had 5 Ono on the deck, 2 in that 35lb class. We cleaned up the boat, threw out 2 heavy jets and speed-trolled the remainder of the ledge before pulling lines and running for home. Pulled the boat around 7pm.

Ended up going about 13 for 20 bites on the day.

We had a great day, great action, good company, great scenery.

I love it when a plan comes together.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

mo65

That's awesome John...way to go! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Ron Jones

That's goo eating. Are you keeping them or are they going o the market?
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Newell Nut

Excellent freezer meat. Congratulations.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 01, 2019, 09:37:47 PM
That's goo eating. Are you keeping them or are they going o the market?
Ron Jones

My freezer is full, and this was Chris's boat so off to the auction block they went.
Hope springs eternal

Ron Jones

I'm guesin he got the gas money plus some back.
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Reel 224

Now that's a great catch!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tightlines667

Wahoo realized $4/lb,
Mahi were $5.30/lb
Tuna was only $1.80/lb

This pays for 3 full days of expenses.
Hope springs eternal

Ron Jones

You can, in fact, sell anything in Hawaii.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
"

Benni3

That looks like a fantastic trip,,,,, :D great job man,,,,,, ;D

redsetta

Nice work John - stoked for ya!
Cheers for the trip report, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

thorhammer

that aint fishing that's catching! great job, and write up as always!

John

twotone

Lots of hoo John. Always nice reading your fishing reports. That's one fishing this past January that eluded me. With several yellowfin , 2 bull dorado, a nice sail and a striped marlin made for an epic day. I was good , but crew really wanted the hoo. keep posting John.
twotone

Bill B

Great report John....good times were had for sure...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!