My first Shakespeare! A Sea Wonder 2080 EJ

Started by FlipFlopRepairShoppe, April 01, 2019, 11:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

I asked a VERY well respected member of the forum to help me finish compiling my list of large vintage surf reels that would make a good showing.  He turned me onto the Shakespeare Sea Wonder 2080 and 2090 series.  I found a good deal on a this Sea Wonder, and she'll be here this upcoming week.  As always, anything that anyone can tell me about the reel or about how to properly service her is very welcome!
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

foakes

It will likely be OK, after a good cleaning and service, Josh.

This one looks like it has been used recently — so probably OK.

I have one that had not been used in most likely 30+ years — the cranking was so stiff that I foolishly forced it too much before opening it up — then found it packed full of a very sticky axle grease that had turned to semi-beeswax.

My cranking without inspecting resulted in a broken oscillation block.

It is in a bag for now — until I find the right part.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Great choice.  Looks like you got a good one.  Those old USA made Shakespeares (rods too) are well built and should last a lifetime if taken care of.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thank you gentleman!  About her being fished recently, that was my take, as well.  That mono looks pretty bright and fresh.  She'll get her turn at the beach, after a thorough cleaning.  I have half a dozen reels waiting in line to be taken down and refreshed now.  Pics of each teardown will follow.

Fred, I will make certain to not force any reels, going forward.  If this reel turns out to need parts, may I come to you?
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

foakes

I do not have any parts supply for these, Josh —

Just a few complete reels that will be made into lamp bases —

It is doubtful that you will need any parts for these — outside of maybe a bail spring, or a new drag stack.

And those parts can be sourced from, or adapted from other similar reels.

If by some doubtful chance, a few more parts were needed — a donor reel would be your best solution.

I have parts for DQ, Mitchell's, Penns, and a few others — but few for the Shakes.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thank you, sir.  Do  you happen to know if there are any common parts failures on these Sea Wonders to watch out for?  None of my vintage reels will get abused, but it's always good to know which parts I should try to pick up just in case.

Midway Tommy

Those charcoal Shakespeares are built like tanks. If not abused there really aren't any weak spots other than maybe the plastic drag knob cracking. I've only ever seen one cracked, though, but replacement parts are really difficult to find.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

thorhammer

Josh, since I haven't seen any Royal Bonnyl in way over a decade, maybe two, you should get a bulk spool of Stren Hi-Vis Gold or Ande Pink in 20 or 25 lb test for these motors you are acquiring (rapidly, i may add :)  

To complete the vintage direction. JMO.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thank you, Tommy!

Thor, I do love me some Ande mono.  You're right, I need to outfit all these girls with some proper pink 20lb Ande. And I'm going to use nothing but redheaded pencil poppers just to be really old school.  I tried to find an old Lami for a decent price around here but nothing doing, so I bought a 9 ft Daiwa FT fiberglass stick in that retro yellow.  The ocean star looks sharp on there already.

As far as the rapidity goes, I hadn't really treated myself to anything fun in a long time, so I figured it was about time.  Not including the Penn that the seller backed out on, I'd acquired the DAM Super, the Shakespeare, the Ocean Star, and the Ocean City 320 for just a hair over a C note.  I'm not picky about cosmetics so I've been getting alot of reel for my dollar.  The hunt continues...

philaroman

Quote from: thorhammer on April 02, 2019, 02:37:10 AM
Josh, since I haven't seen any Royal Bonnyl in way over a decade, maybe two, you should get a bulk spool of Stren Hi-Vis Gold or Ande Pink in 20 or 25 lb test for these motors you are acquiring (rapidly, i may add :) 

To complete the vintage direction. JMO.

I have 2 connected RB spools (? 20 lb. ?), in original (crumbling) plastic case

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

That's a nice find, Phil.  I don't believe I've ever seen this line that Thor is talking about.  I grew up on Ande.

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Rivverrat

I had one of these with box. Fella said it was used. After looking at it I asked, "by who" he said he just made the claim to be on the safe side.

I dont keep reels around just to fondle & stare at. I'll not be a warehouse for someone else after I'm gone.

Reels that dont see much use or have lost their place in my arsenal most of the time go down the road.

Except for a few DAM Quicks & some old Penns. But I look at them. I dont stare.

However that's just me. I do understand people's desire to collect pristine examples of benchmark reels. So this one went to a friend who does this sort of thing.
 After he accused me of being a retard for having plans of fishing it.

Ain't life just a kick in the head sometimes ?  ... Jeff

Rivverrat

Oh, this is a very well made thought out reel. Just as Fred told me.
It was made to fish a couple of lifetimes for the more than average fishing fella... Jeff

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

I, as well, don't typically collect things that I don't plan on using.  Nothing but respect for the people who do have large collections, and I'll probably be there someday, as well.  Thus far I've got half a dozen large surf reels en route, and I plan on fishing each one of them in turn.  I drive down a beautiful scenic highway that runs along the beach, on my drive home every night.  Keeping a rod, reel, and a couple of choice artificials in the passenger seat is my plan after I've got all the girls taken down and properly serviced.   I'll be taking a different reel out each week.  Also, none of the ones I've picked up are in anywhere near pristine condition.  Every single one has chips, corrosion, and some pretty decent wear.  I like used reels that show their history.