1979 Dyer 29 Refresh

Started by Tightlines667, April 02, 2019, 05:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Good luck John, a big project, for you, hope it works good for you, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Jim Fujitani

John, it sounds like your boat will be like new!  Good luck! 

Dominick

Gulp!  John you are a better man than I.  If I saw my boat looking like that I would be so overwhelmed I would dump it.  Good luck with that refurbish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

I envision one heck of a boat when you're finished. Can't wait to see the results.  You have the most important parts... a solid engine and a great hull. 8)
All the best in accomplishing your dream.
Tuned in,
Dom
PS- If you need to let go of that first year 3/0 box due to cost overruns let me know. ;)

Tightlines667

Well I made it down to take a peak at the progress on my boat yesterday.  It has bern painfully sliw since he is a one man show and having trouble finding good help to subcontract.  However, he has made some progress....

-Thu hulls have been removed, 2 were glassed over, 2 were replaced with new
-Transducer has been removed, he is running into clearance issues mounting the larger 1kw in the keel, and with the longer stem so will have to remove more material, drill another hull, plug old one, and build custom fairing skirts
-Decks are sanded/prepped for paint
-Teak rails have been removed, and front railing removed
-Rub rail ready for install
-All stringers have been glassed/sealed, glassed to hull
-he built/installed firewall arpund engine box with step up for for flush deck config
-Aft deck plywood cut/fit underside glassed/sealed
-Fuel tanks mounted with custom glassed/plywood mounts
-Fuel tanks plummed (vent, pick up, return, fill, and senders installed wired to front gauges (still need to be installed)

He still has to
-sand/prep/prime/paint helcoat, trim, and entire interior/exterior.
-finish cuttin fordeck reinforce for chair mounts, install hatches
-fabricate a fish door
-move buildge pump
-install washdown/baitwell pump
-plum engine intake
Paint bottom
Minor engine service

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

George6308

Beautiful lines, very classic look, and worth every cent you put into her. She will sail again. Wishing you fare winds and calm seas.

Tightlines667

I stopped by the boat yesterday, and some progress has been made.  The forward flush deck has been glassed in, with reinforcing helm/compsnion chait blocks glassed in place, storage hatches molded, nd the main engine hatch is ready to be pulled from the mold and finished/mounted.  Pluming/wiring tubes were molded in as well.  The new thru hulls are mounted, old 2 unused have been removed/glassed over.  I also selected/ordered new paint.  Outter hull and windscreen will be Pearl Gray awlgrip, trim, decks, and interior will be cream.

We still have alot of work to do, but progress is occuring.

John
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

thorhammer

Cool! I know it's killing you being on dry dock this long. It's gonna be sweet though. Grip is the best out there as far as I'm concerned.

Cuttyhunker

This is a mid 80's shot at Cuttyhunk, headed out to Devil's Bridge at the Vineyard for a good striper day on the 29 Dyer "Jig em UP" the late Capt. Roland Columbe at the helm, note the hi tech circle flasher on the helm.  Yours truly in the shades along for the ride.  The retired shop manager for Dyer, Gil Rene, used to buy lobster traps from my shop and was proud of his boats.  The management was more interested in quality boats than bean counting.  One of the salty old timers on the island, a WW1 vet who could never reconcile the idea of glass boats commented after a particularly sloppy bay crossing with Roland, that he still didn't think much of glass boats but that "one" would probably scare you to death before it drowned you.  Quite a compliment.  Good job on a great hull.
Doomed from childhood

Tightlines667

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on November 18, 2019, 08:22:22 PM
This is a mid 80's shot at Cuttyhunk, headed out to Devil's Bridge at the Vineyard for a good striper day on the 29 Dyer "Jig em UP" the late Capt. Roland Columbe at the helm, note the hi tech circle flasher on the helm.  Yours truly in the shades along for the ride.  The retired shop manager for Dyer, Gil Rene, used to buy lobster traps from my shop and was proud of his boats.  The management was more interested in quality boats than bean counting.  One of the salty old timers on the island, a WW1 vet who could never reconcile the idea of glass boats commented after a particularly sloppy bay crossing with Roland, that he still didn't think much of glass boats but that "one" would probably scare you to death before it drowned you.  Quite a compliment.  Good job on a great hull.

Love it!
Hope springs eternal

David Hall

Progress looks great.  patience is king for this kind of project.  fortunately you got friends with boats so you don't have to be a full time land lubber.

Bill B

John, how's the boat coming along?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!