1979 Dyer 29 Refresh

Started by Tightlines667, April 02, 2019, 05:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

Looking good ............................. when should I be thinking about a holiday in Hawaii ....................... with a little fishing? ;)

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

David Hall

Quote from: Hardy Boy on May 20, 2020, 03:50:20 PM
Looking good ............................. when should I be thinking about a holiday in Hawaii ....................... with a little fishing? ;)

Cheers:

Todd

yeah what Todd said! Ill be meeting him there, he doesn't know it yet though.

Tightlines667

There have been further delays with the project, due in part to other shorter term projects taking precidence, and also COVID.

They did get some more prep work for new gelcoat and rubrail, and side storage compartments and washdown pump mounts were fabricated and installed.  I was able to find the correct size used prop as well.  We decided to do a custom molded fiberglass acess hatch instead of a prefab in the rear deck too.

Practicing some patience. ;)

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

Patience? I want to get out there and kill something! That d&$#@ Corona virus!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Ron Jones

Slow and steady wins the race, she'll be perfect when shes done. Looks like you've got the right guys working on her.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Cuttyhunker

Looking over the thread I was surprised to see the transducer right on the keel line.  The boat is all New England, your hull design still the king in the Maine lobster fishery, and some 29's still doing charter work around the reefs and rock piles of Cape Cod and the Islands to Montauk.  The design with the full skeg and pintle under the wheel and rudder were there to slide, hopefully, over the rocks if the skipper was getting a little too tight on his pass or not paying attention. That is the reason your rudder is so big to react quickly to those "oh crap" moments.  Stern tillers and aft controls were often built into the 29's. Never would see a mount like that in New England, always in the bilge, off center, hopefully protected by the skeg.  I get it you guys are in a whole different Idaho, go a few miles and you can't even find the bottom anymore!!  Tight lines, good looking job. 
Doomed from childhood

MARLI

Hi John, This is Doug Whittington in Maryland. Just bought a 1969 Dyer 29. It's down south of me in VA. Just stopped by and paid my man 1850.00 to transport the boat from the marina in Rescue, Va to my shop in Cambridge, MD. I guess this is one of the smaller checks I'll write. Boy, i'll have a lot of questions for you. This is a trunk cabin, small hardtop with a flush cockpit deck. Plan on a re-power with a new gas Crusader fuel injection engine. This boat will be on a lift at my house and used in the Chesapeake Bay. My buddy John Taylor told me about your project. Hope it doesn't affect my reel collecting money. I'll post a picture when I get it here next week. They are pretty boats. Doug

Tightlines667

Quick update...

I stopped by the boat yesterday and Jobn has made some good progress over the past few weeks.  He has molded/built/installed a custom rear crawl/access hatch, finished enclosing storage compartments, installed all new water and fuel lines, built a custom PVC engine ventilation system, fuel tank vents/fillers, installed, buildge pumps and plumbing installed, engine heat shields installed, built mount and mounted high capacity washdown pump, the entire deck has been glassed in and sealed underneith with epoxy, two heavy reinforcing blocks were added (1 in the middle of the rear deck, 1 below the rail/behind step on the port side) for mounting accesories (i.e greenstick/davit/electric bandit reel, & fighting chair/rocket launcher/or bait well).  He has completed sanding the entire boat inside and out, including the decks, and interior cabin.  Unfortunately I didn't have a camera or phone along so no progress pics yet.

Today I bought a junk 20' fiberform boat, and trailer for cheap and we moved it to John's boatyard.  The idea is to cut off the cab and modify it slightly (1' taller, blend to match my boat's linea, maybe extend slightly, maybe change windiw size for new windows) before mounting on my boat.  

The boat also came with a 3 section, 35' long GreenStick which I plan to refresh and mount on the portside behind step/cab top mounted to reinforced floor, gunnel, and hardtop.  Also came with a SS center rigger mount, and I have a 5 rod holder for the roof.  

I need to pick out helm chairs, 500-800lb fish box, and do the 1000hr service on the engine.  Once the cab is complete, everything will get primed/painted, hardware/acessories, mounted, prop mounted, stuffing replaced, rub rail mounted, need to get a new SS anchor pulpit and mount, plumb washdown paint the bottom, and it will hopefully he ready to fish.  Not sure how much longer to complete the work, but I am remaining cautiously optimistic since I just added another project to the list.  

I also bought a 400lb/day ice machine.

John
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

oc1

That's just wild John.  What a great project.
-steve

Rivverrat

Wow !  This is going to be really nice when finished

Dominick

That kind of a job would overwhelm me.  I'd look at it, puke and walk away.  You got guts John.  Best of luck.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Looking really good brother.  Looking forward to your shake down cruise.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Donnyboat

Thanks for keeping us updated John, should not be much longer now, hope you catch some nice fish with it, it looks great, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Hey John! Just read your post on rod/reel storage in the Fishing Rods section, nice! Do you still have the boat and howzit coming along?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!