1979 Dyer 29 Refresh

Started by Tightlines667, April 02, 2019, 05:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: Gfish on March 02, 2021, 06:25:38 PM
Hey John! Just read your post on rod/reel storage in the Fishing Rods section, nice! Do you still have the boat and howzit coming along?

I still have it.. work continues a a painfully slow pace.

I did drop all the boat cushions off to get redone, and aquired a new SS bow pulpit, and rub rail.  Modification/install of the house is next on the list.

I will continue to provide updates as they become available.

In the mean time, it is nice to have friends with boats!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat

I know nothing of this boat model regarding specks. My love for a boat design starts with its lines below top of the bow. This one you have caught my attention from the first time you posted purchasing it. I do hope you
have the fortitude to stay the course with your plans for it... Jeff

Cuttyhunker

I thought I send along this snap of a 29 cruising past my slip.  The canvas gives you the protection from the elements while keeping the classic lines of the factory windshield intact.  Just a thought.
Doomed from childhood

Tightlines667

Stopped by the boat yard again today.  John has been busy mocking up a cabin.  We decided to scrap the cheap junk cab, and build ine up from scratch.  He removed the windshield and has the basic layout complete.  Next is to refine the layout with radius curves, source, cut windows, layout areas of reinforcement.  Then he lifts it off, glasses the outside, flips it and glasses the inside before installing and finishing.  Then the entire boat will get final sanding and paint.  Then hardware/metal work fab/install, and some misc stuff.  Then bottompaint and splash.  Costs are low, quality is high, but at a cost of having to wait patiently for work to progress.  I am ok with that.
Hope springs eternal

Cuttyhunker

Glad you trashed that cabin......here's a few different 29 setups for you to peruse.
Doomed from childhood

thorhammer

Rivverrat

Quote from: thorhammer on June 11, 2021, 02:51:32 PM
John, any updates?

I'm curious myself. Been following along ... Jeff

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rivverrat on June 11, 2021, 03:40:22 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on June 11, 2021, 02:51:32 PM
John, any updates?

I'm curious myself. Been following along ... Jeff

No, no real progress the last several months.  Except I did buy a greenstick reel.  It holds 1.5nm of 800lb test line.  And I caught my first Ahi of the year.
Hope springs eternal

Rivverrat

Appreciate the update. This boat you have is to my way of thinking pretty classy. I had no idea the cabin lay out could be changed around so significantly from work boat to leisure... Jeff

Bill B

John you have the patience of a saint....3 years.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

David Hall

I like the enclosed almost pilothouse versions.  I started fishing with a friend and he's got a full pilothouse, boy are they nice.  Makes me feel like I'm really working when I fish mine. 

Tightlines667

Very little progress was made over the past 6 months on the boat build.  Cabin got messed up and had to be rebuilt, but it is close to being ready to mount on the boat.  I found a nice set of SeaGlaze slider windows for the side and need to source front windows next.  Still alot of work to do.

At least I have been able to go fishing alot.  ~50 offshore trips since June.  We went 10 for 17 on Billfish, including 1-650lb class Blue, 7 for 10 on Ahis, maybe 40 Wahoo (including my first ever 7 banger bite, 20 Mahi, a few Akus/shibis and some deep 7 bottomfish.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Love the boat, & the fish pictures, thanks, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat