Shultz “Gilgo” trade reel Penn model 170?

Started by 1badf350, April 02, 2019, 12:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Guys I have never seen one of these before. Can someone confirm what the base reel is? Looks like a 170 to me.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

milne

Hi Chris,  Hope all's well mate.
  I pulled out one of my 170's, and compared, and I'd call that a 170 !!
That would make that a pretty rare beast, what a find !!!!!!

I'm only going visually, if you need any thing measured or the likes, sing out.

Congrats on that find....
PS   I have been wrong on occasion, so hopefully someone will come in and confirm.......

Col

milne

Actually Chris,
                     In reassessing that reel, I'm sorry to say that it is only a model 4,  very basic, cheap wildly popular reel that would only fetch
          A $5er at your local second hand shop.
           It looks like the seller saw you coming,    Which is unfortunate !!
         I feel sorry for you, so please accept a $10er, and I'll pay for postage, just so you don't have to look at it again.

yours truly
      Col
         ;D

Darin Crofton

Quote from: milne on April 03, 2019, 05:44:12 AM
Actually Chris,
                     In reassessing that reel, I'm sorry to say that it is only a model 4,  very basic, cheap wildly popular reel that would only fetch
          A $5er at your local second hand shop.
           It looks like the seller saw you coming,    Which is unfortunate !!
         I feel sorry for you, so please accept a $10er, and I'll pay for postage, just so you don't have to look at it again.

yours truly
      Col
         ;D
;D ;D ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Deepennz

Hi Chris,
Well done - it certainly looks like a #170. Where are you finding all these treasures you come up with - have you got a 'portal' to the fourth dimension and are travelling back to the early '40's? If so - how about bringing back a whole heap for us lesser mortals!!

I had to google 'Gilgo' - it looked too much like 'gigilo' to me! It is interesting that all those old Schultz reels were named after beaches in the NY/Manhatten/Long Island area. I guess that Penn/Schultz had to appeal to the local market.

I have some Schultz reels in my collection that have no grease/oil ports - so Penn must have been making reels for the Schultz Co. from 1936 to at least 1939/1940.
There must be more out there!!
Cheers
Martin