314 back in action

Started by nagant, April 03, 2019, 12:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nagant

Belonged to an uncle and not used in 52 years. Bought a parts reel but didn't need it after all. Parts reel was stepped on and rotating head and spool was bent along with handle grip screw snapped off. Got the rotating head back in round and decided to try and drill the threaded screw stub out, it worked!  This screw seems to have a steel core with aluminum outer shell.  The counter weight inside of the rotor cup is loose, looks like its held by 2 rivets. Hard to tell but C/W has play, normal? the parts reel C/W (counter weight) is either tight as it should be or stuck with gunk.
Brice

nagant

These are sort of an odd duck.  Like an ultra light with a large spool someone wrote, with the planamatic spooling should be a great casting reel.  And the spools, large capacity has a drag washer but small capacity does not.  Here is a D.A.M. Quick 331N for comparison
Brice

nagant

How do you separate the reel body and rotor?  I stripped it down while cleaning, couldn't see anything else to remove. Tried pulling them apart but didn't want to break it.
Brice

Midway Tommy

It's not difficult. Remove the side plate & main gear. Remove the 2 screws from the oscillation block, pull the main shaft out of the tube at the front and remove the nut in the rotor on the shaft tube. Remove the bail trip and the rotor should slide right off the tube. The pinion gear will remain attached to the rotor.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nagant

Thanks it was resisting and i was resisting my caveman instinct :)
Brice

happyhooker

These reels definitely have a throwback look & are a sure conversation starter.

Frank

nagant

They really do have a unique look Frank. After looking at the innerds i see the (form follows function) design aspect. Haven't used them enough to know how well they handle a good fight. The bail trip needs a trim or i need skinnier fingers, raps my finger every rev.      Brice
Brice

Midway Tommy

The 304, not quite as fancy but same innards, was my first spinner. I loved that reel. Light, capable, it did everything I asked of it until I broke the shaft off on the main gear. That's when I bought my first Zebco Cardinal, 1969, as it's replacement. I still have that 304. I found a main gear & extracted the piece of shaft out of the handle. It's just been sitting in a plastic baggie ever since. Never got around to servicing it but this thread pushed me into taking it apart so it'll be my next resto.  :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

wfjord

I have a 314 that I acquired for panfishing year before last. Unique, cool looking little reel. I serviced it, added some shims and loaded it up with mono, but it has such a deep spool that it holds a holds way more line than I'd ever need for such a reel.  It casted nicely, but I ended up taking the line off and used it to load up a couple of my old 714 spinfishers.  Haven't used the 314 since.

I'd like to trade the deep spool for a shallow one if they made a shallow spool.  Or maybe just fill it up two thirds of the way with tape or old Dacron and then add some line.

Midway Tommy

I never spool more than 125 yds of whatever line I'm using. I use 12# dacron for backing and I never change the backing.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

nagant

Took a parts reel apart and the rotor slid off easy, not sure why the other didn't but its working good so not going to investigate :). Took the handle knob and screw from a 304 handle and it fit. wasn't sure if they would due to parts number are different. Another thing that's weird is all three reels anti reverse work and sound good but only one lever bounces on every click when engaged.   I've been using a old spool of 30# modern braid from a garage sale. Need more but not sure what to get, there's Orvis Dacron 12# fly line backing in the local store but not sure if that's a good idea. 
Brice