My first Shakespeare! A Sea Wonder 2080 EJ

Started by FlipFlopRepairShoppe, April 01, 2019, 11:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Got the Sea Wonder in....

Another major disappointment in the fishing reel world.  The cam was sheared off.  An otherwise solid looking reel had a massive parts failure.  I got the reel, opened her up, and I found out that she was damaged beyond my ability to repair her.  I had heard from all quadrants that she was a tough as nails reel and that I could tackle most anything with her.  So, I excitedly opened her up to clean her out and take her with me fishing today.  You can imagine my feelings when I realized that she was only good for sitting on a shelf, now.  This is the fifth major reel disapointment out of nine reels.  I'm tempted to throw in the towel.

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

Rivverrat

Well, you can certainly do that. Just try to remember that making use of some old things can be frustrating at times. But for some like myself the kick in the pants from using something that works well even by todays standards is worth it.

I would suggest finding a make of reels that grabs your interest while fitting your criteria. Buying different makes from different makers & planning on using them all regularly can be taxing on your time & resources.

Just a thought... Jeff

festus

Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on April 14, 2019, 06:47:43 AM
Got the Sea Wonder in....

Another major disappointment in the fishing reel world.  The cam was sheared off.  An otherwise solid looking reel had a massive parts failure.  I got the reel, opened her up, and I found out that she was damaged beyond my ability to repair her.  I had heard from all quadrants that she was a tough as nails reel and that I could tackle most anything with her.  So, I excitedly opened her up to clean her out and take her with me fishing today.  You can imagine my feelings when I realized that she was only good for sitting on a shelf, now.  This is the fifth major reel disapointment out of nine reels.  I'm tempted to throw in the towel.

Sorry to hear about this, FlipFlop.  That model Sea Wonder you have is older than the models I have.  Mine are the Royal Maroons, 2071, 2081, 2081A, 2091 and 2091A.  Maybe somebody on here has the part you need.  Those grey Sea Wonders are built differently than the later models.

festus

That looks like part X19, level wind yoke is broken.  Hopefully someone has a parts reel.

Midway Tommy

Man, that sucks!  :( Parts for those things are tougher to find than Gold Nuggets in CA creeks. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Yeah, I read that parts were impossible to find, so I'm already returning the reel.  Oh well, win some, lose some.

I've got a Spinator, and a DAM 270 that myself and my buddy are fishing, plus another strong reel that will be here tomorrow.   Also, on the recommendation of a fantastic gentleman on here I got a Heddon 270-r.  That reel looks like it was built STRONG.  So, I'll have four good strong reels to fish.

The Ocean City 320, the Olympic 83, and the Ocean Star No. 36 are all just display pieces now.  If that Penn ever shows up then I'll have five strong reels, so I'll either break even or win, lol.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

thorhammer

MY first DAM Quick Super arrived right after yours...and the bail doesn't trip. Bail actions are my Achille's heel. i just hate messing with them but happily tear a Senator into all 100 pieces. I'm gonna give it a look but I'm may be asking for help on this one.

Rivverrat

Dont give up on this endeavor. I find it to be a very rewarding venture. One that doesnt have to be all that spendy if you learn as you go. Like I said the few short falls that happen along the way make the ones that fish well all that more enjoyable. If you listen closely & keep at it, you will learn things about yourself as go along. Somethings not so good & others better. I find it to be a truely rewarding thing... Jeff

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Thor, I'm glad to hear that you got yours in!  I'm also sorry to hear that the bail is wonky.  The internals on those reels are insanely well built, though, so I'm confident that it can be repaired.

River, I'm not giving up.  I was just disheartened.  I tore down my new-to-me Crack 300 and am in love with this design.

Also, I fought that ebay seller and wouldn't let them off the hook like they wanted, so they shipped me my Penn Greenie 704!!!!!

Rivverrat

Hard to beat a fishable Penn 704. Not always easy ti find but parts are around.

Never had a Crack spinner they do have a following.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

I can see why the Crack has a following, and why the 704 does, as well.  They're both big, tough, insanely well built reels.