Sea Wonder 2091A aka Ted Williams 930 trade reel tutorial

Started by festus, April 03, 2019, 09:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I'd been looking for a 2091A for some time, they have been scarce on ebay, so I settled for this Ted Williams 930. It was clean and cranked smoothly out of the box, but the grease was darkened, so I went ahead and serviced it.

The level wind screw has left handed threads as other Royal Maroons.

It appears this reel had been serviced at some time.  The anti-reverse assembly was very clean, so I left as was but lubed it with a couple drops of Ardent Reel Oil.

The bail trip assembly was also clean, so I left it as was but also oiled it.

Removing rotor nut and lock washer.  The nut has right handed threads.

The bail trip ramp is removable, a highly desirable feature

Removing snap ring to get to the bearing and pinion gear.

The bearing was shielded, I removed one shield but left the other intact.

Internal parts before cleaning.

Parts after cleanup.

This time I lubed the bearing with Corrosion X-HD.

This reel had previously been lubed with a clear grease, so I used Superlube.

The bail assembly was fine, but I checked the line roller then reinstalled it.

Reassembled.

Comparing the Ted Williams 930/Sea Wonder 2091A with the Shakespeare 2091. It isn't noticeable in the pics, but the TW 930 is a shade darker than the 2091.

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester. That TW is in really nice condition.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

You're on a roll, Chester.  Very nice reel & good work to get it all ready to go.

Frank

festus

Does anyone have an idea how old this reel could be? It doesn't have the normal Shakespeare code.  But it does have this marked on the side plate: 635414970.

The old 2091 in the last couple of pics is a 1968 model according to the date code EC. Take the "E" which is "6", then "C" which is 8, put them together, 68 or 1968.  LOL, I was 15 years old at the time, hadn't fished with anything better than a South Bend 730 or a Zebco 606.  ;D

mo65

Wow man, that thing is so clean inside, great buy! My 2091a was a trainwreck...but after the cleanup it was so smooth. Great reels. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on April 03, 2019, 11:21:35 PM
Does anyone have an idea how old this reel could be? It doesn't have the normal Shakespeare code.  But it does have this marked on the side plate: 635414970.

The old 2091 in the last couple of pics is a 1968 model according to the date code EC. Take the "E" which is "6", then "C" which is 8, put them together, 68 or 1968.  LOL, I was 15 years old at the time, hadn't fished with anything better than a South Bend 730 or a Zebco 606.  ;D

The same era as the 2091A , 1970-75. Most Shakes I've see are DAs.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

festus

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Those big Royal Maroons can be found at reasonable prices.  This one brought 26 bucks plus shipping on ebay yesterday. But sometimes you can score a nice one for half of that.