Spool shaft specs -- Jigmaster 501 versus Surfmaster 100

Started by Decker, April 04, 2019, 05:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Does anyone know (or could measure) if the spool shaft on a Jigmaster 501 spool is the same as the one on a Surfmaster 100 spool?  

Trying to find out to give an answer to Randy, pertaining to using the Tiburon XN16 kit with the Penn 100 or 180 or 27 reels:   https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28078.msg323968#msg323968

Thanks.

Decker

Quote from: Gfish on April 04, 2019, 07:24:03 PM
A Jigmaster 501(not 510), right?

Right, G.  I fixed it.

Fishy247

I'd like to see if that p16xn would work too. Some colored monofil plates on an XN frame sounds cool...

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Fishy247 on April 04, 2019, 10:47:20 PM
I'd like to see if that p16xn would work too. Some colored monofil plates on an XN frame sounds cool...
Great idea, I have a 26 monofil with green plates, I'll try it on my silver p16xn kit later tonight and report back . . .
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Decker on April 04, 2019, 05:27:10 PM
Does anyone know (or could measure) if the spool shaft on a Jigmaster 501 spool is the same as the one on a Surfmaster 100 spool?  

Trying to find out to give an answer to Randy, pertaining to using the Tiburon XN16 kit with the Penn 100 or 180 or 27 reels:   https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28078.msg323968#msg323968

Thanks.

I'll check later tonight when I get home. I think I have both spools.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Porthos

No.

Confirmed via the early days of the Franken-Penn 27 project. The 500 pinion was loose around the 29L-100 spool shaft.

Ron Jones

I'm Gonna say it!
We need these spools, Their MAGNUM Surfmaster Spools! Could you imagine a set of Tom's plates that run Jigmaster guts on a Narrow Surfmaster? Unbelievably awesome!

I know I'm not the only one who sees it, 5:1 XN Surfmaster!

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Decker

Quote from: Darin Crofton on April 05, 2019, 12:58:33 AM
Great idea, I have a 26 monofil with green plates, I'll try it on my silver p16xn kit later tonight and report back . . .

Darin, the Monofil is not going to work with the narrow Squidder spool that came with the kit, because the Squidder spool shaft is longer.  The idea was that Tiburon might be able to put a Jigmaster spool shaft from the P21XN  into the spool of the P16XN.  Would be cool, but according to Porthos... :P :

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Decker on April 05, 2019, 02:46:42 AM
Quote from: Darin Crofton on April 05, 2019, 12:58:33 AM

Darin the Monofil is not going to work with the narrow Squidder spool that came with the kit, because the Squidder spool shaft is longer.  The idea was that Tiburon might be able to put a Jigmaster spool shaft from the P21XN  into the spool of the P16XN.  Would be cool, but according to Porthos... :P :
Thanks, saved me from heartache  ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fishy247

Quote from: Fishy247 on April 04, 2019, 02:47:20 PM

Darin, the Monofil is not going to work with the narrow Squidder spool that came with the kit, because the Squidder spool shaft is longer.  The idea was that Tiburon might be able to put a Jigmaster spool shaft from the P21XN  into the spool of the P16XN.  Would be cool, but according to Porthos... Tongue

Hmm...would it be a matter of simply removing some of the material from the end of the Squidder spool shaft, or would one need to move the shoulders down as well?

Ron Jones

Quote from: Fishy247 on April 05, 2019, 03:09:11 PM

Hmm...would it be a matter of simply removing some of the material from the end of the Squidder spool shaft, or would one need to move the shoulders down as well?
My thought exactly. I'm pretty sure the pinion will fit on either spool, so you should be able to hack off the bearing support and be good. Pretty spendy goof if I'm wrong. Still like the idea of the XN Magnum the best. Anybody got a set of Accurate Squidder Magnum plates they want to try?
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Decker

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 05, 2019, 05:26:53 AM
67.3 mm for the 100 spool and 501 spool

Bryan, thanks;  same length.  What about diameter measurement?  Porthos seems to be saying there is a difference.

Quote from: Porthos on April 05, 2019, 01:43:15 AM
No.

Confirmed via the early days of the Franken-Penn 27 project. The 500 pinion was loose around the 29L-100 spool shaft.

I guess Alan (PC) would know because he he sell both spools.

Fishy247

My thought exactly. I'm pretty sure the pinion will fit on either spool, so you should be able to hack off the bearing support and be good. Pretty spendy goof if I'm wrong. Still like the idea of the XN Magnum the best. Anybody got a set of Accurate Squidder Magnum plates they want to try?
Ron Jones

Well I've got a 25 and a 26 I can try out, along with a P16XN frame/spool...not sure when I will have time to try, but I can see if I can figure out where it would need to be trimmed to

Swami805

I checked mine last night and the difference I saw was in the narrow end of the shaft on the handle side is a different length. I don't have calipers to check it but looks like it wouldn't work. Also they have different size clicker gears but that would be easy to change
Do what you can with that you have where you are