Spool shaft specs -- Jigmaster 501 versus Surfmaster 100

Started by Decker, April 04, 2019, 05:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

The big issue is that the pinion notch on the shaft is different. In order to make a 100xn Tiburon would have to make a whole new shaft. They already make 100 spools, so they have the profile, they just need to put it on a narrow shaft.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Decker

farmer56

farmer56  here     we  also  have   a  smaller  line  out  clicker  star  that  is    aprox.  .125"   smaller on  the  surfmaster  100    vs.  squidder   ...  dont  know  size  on  jigmaster     

thorhammer

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 05, 2019, 02:35:44 AM
I'm Gonna say it!
We need these spools, Their MAGNUM Surfmaster Spools! Could you imagine a set of Tom's plates that run Jigmaster guts on a Narrow Surfmaster? Unbelievably awesome!

I know I'm not the only one who sees it, 5:1 XN Surfmaster!

Ron Jones

Tom's plates have BB's...wouldn't that make it a Squidder magnum at this point?

Ron Jones

The Squidder Magnum uses Jigmaster guts. This gives the reel a higher gear ratio. The magnum needs a spool and side plates. Tiburon currently makes the required parts for the spool, and Tom has made sideplates for both reels and would just have to figure out how to merge the drawings the way only he can. I don't know that this would ever get off the ground, but it is probably the most useful iteration of old Penn reels for today. A great 30# reel for braid with enough speed to work the iron and drag to bring in anything you would want to fish a 30# rig with. I'd call it the Cedros special.

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

100 percent agree....my sausage thumb doesn't fit the XN but a magged 145 width,  Magnum Cortez Classic Squidder in green...my unicorn.

kmstorm64

Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!