Clicker failed, found this...

Started by nelz, April 04, 2019, 08:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Just wanted to share that this 505HS was a total restore from a recent flea market purchase and has quickly become one of my favorites. I was never able to cast very well with my 500S, but this one casts great.

So upon trying it out the other day (on the pier), I left the rod in free-spool with clicker engaged and had a massive hit that made it scream real good! Probably the clicker was on its last licks as it broke right after that. I guess the previous owner liked to fish with the clicker on, lol.

nelz

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 05, 2019, 01:18:04 AMYou could also clean the parts and braze the clicker on the spool shaft.

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 05, 2019, 01:37:29 AMAfter spending time and effort, you can just put it back on and center punch it in four spots and it will be fixed. If you don't understand what I'm saying Then I'll take a picture to show you. Joe

Thanks guys, brazing is a bit out of my league and I don't have the tools for the punch. These replies should help other folks though.

Ron Jones

I have always found Newell spools to be superior to Penn when it comes to free spool and castability. If you liked the 505 before, you wil LOVE it with the Newell spool.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

akfish

The simplest solution is to clean it carefully and completely, then use JB Weld epoxy to attach the clicker wheel to the spool.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Swami805

So where is the picture of the fish that ripped the clicker off?  You know the mantra
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

You do need anything fancy for a punch.  A hammer and big nail will work fine.  Give it a good whack in several places around the edge of he hole.  That will deform the metal enough that it will get a good bite when you press it back into place.  It will be as strong as original. 
-steve

nelz

Quote from: Swami805 on April 05, 2019, 06:38:15 PMSo where is the picture of the fish that ripped the clicker off?  You know the mantra

Yeah, well, not only did she break my reel, but she spit the hook too! Big mama snook!  >:(

Bill B

This is stuff dreams are made of..... a fish big fish nought to break a reel.....and the Ohana coming to the rescue to fix it...... Cheers guys.  bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

nelz

Quote from: oc1 on April 05, 2019, 07:45:19 PMYou do need anything fancy for a punch.  A hammer and big nail will work fine.  Give it a good whack in several places around the edge of he hole.  That will deform the metal enough that it will get a good bite when you press it back into place.  It will be as strong as original.
-steve

Just gave that a try. Did not go well. My thumb will attest to that.  :'(

Even worse, the click gear just slipped right back on loosely, as if nothing was done. I think JB Weld is the only option left, but frankly, I don't trust that it would hold with all the exposure to lubricants and sharp vibration in that spot. I'm just going to leave it as a clicker-less spare spool.