alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial trim ram for bravo 3.
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 13, 2019, 02:51:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: trim ram for bravo 3.  (Read 1247 times)
David Hall
Firearms Group

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 11:09:03 PM »

I just got my trailer back from the shop today.  New bearings and seals, new rotors and calipers, new electric actuator, no more hydraulic at all.  New tires all around, new wiring and led lights, new winch.  Cost me a ton of dough and I won’t make the mistake of parking it across the street from the boat launch again.
I’m waiting for shipment of a replacement wobble roller and I will be ready to pull the boat out and tackle the end cap replacement.  These Mercruiser end caps are Aluminum and the zincs are attached with stainless machine screws.  Very very easy to strip the aluminum threads in the end caps and end up like mine.  Couldn’t install new zincs on the ram cuz the screws wouldn’t tighten and in a hurry to complete the work I got careless and broke the stainless screw off in the end cap.  So now I got the new end caps to install.
And best of all!
I found an aftermarket kit that acts as a new zinc mounting block on the end cap.  It attaches to the end cap with the two screws and remains there forever.  Your replacement zinc has a North on one side that slides under a tab on the new base and then locks down with one stainless steel machine screw into a stainless steel threaded insert in the base.  So your never going to trash those soft aluminum threads again and your only replacing one screw to attach one zinc on one ram, repeat for other ram.  I don’t know how to post a link but I’ll post pictures as I go through this.  The big question is what are the rams going to look like after being in the marina for 3 months with no zincs on the rams?  Hoping they’re still okay but it could prove challenging.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:32:40 PM by David Hall » Logged
David Hall
Firearms Group

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 08:48:28 PM »

Bought the Sierra kita and new end caps and quick change zinc kit from Sea shield marine.  They have a base plate that attaches to the end cap mounting with two screws where your zincs would normally attach.  Then your new zinc attaches with one screw into a stainless steel insert.  Got the rams apart Easey peasey.
The new parts installed and back together ready for paint.  While working on them I blew a hole in one of the hydraulic lines.  Upon closer inspection all four had weakened to the point of bulging just in front of the fittings and we’re at risk of blowing under pressure, so a new set of lines was ordered from SEI. Mercruiser wanted over 400 for the set and the SEI set was 105. Also the bushings were cracked and deformed so a new set of 16 of them was ordered. 

* 9E9D3513-8368-4516-A1A2-96235A4FF0E4.jpeg (2546.48 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 15 times.)

* 6F596A2D-BBBC-41D0-AF82-4A930A2A5293.jpeg (1757.45 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 15 times.)
milne

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 11:06:37 PM »

Nice work David,
                       It really does show the corrosive conditions our boats operate in and how much maintenance is involved as well.

Enjoying your up dates.........

Col
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: