Help yakkin

Started by David Hall, April 07, 2019, 05:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Get the best PFD you can afford.  It makes a big difference in comfort, and youll be more likely to wear it.  I use a Mustang manual inflatable.  I prefer manual for my use, so it doesnt go off if I go for a swim, but it wont be of much use if you get thrown out and knocked out.  On a river with rocks/potentially rapids I would want automatic inflation or a traditional foam one. 

Get a dry bag.  Unless its warm enough to swim comfortably, I keep dry clothes, or at least a jacket with me.  Good way to keep wallet/keys/phone dry too. 

Dont wear cotton, only quick drying synthetics.  Plan for getting wet.  Its going to be a bad day of you accidentally go for a swim and dont have the proper attire to keep you warm enough. 

I wouldnt worry too much about the fishing specific stuff at first.  Spend some time on the water, and youll get a better feel for what you need and use.  I almost never use an anchor, but I do use a stakeout pole from time to time. 

David Hall

Update!
The kid is really getting hooked on all things fishing.  Hes been going out to local streams and lakes 4-5 times a week, before work, after work, evenings and weekends.
hes already looking to upgrade his kayak to something a little bigger.  Im pushing him to sign up here so you can all meet him.

Benni3

My dad found a fish finder for $15 dollars,,,, ;) it was the biggest difference,,,,, ;D

David Hall

$15? Now that is a deal nobody could turn down.

my grandson Justin told me he signed up here but hasn't been approved to join yet. So hope to have him with us all soon so he can post his San Jose bass and trout pics.

Gfish

Quote from: David Hall on November 19, 2019, 12:01:20 AM
Update!
The kid is really getting hooked on all things fishing.  Hes been going out to local streams and lakes 4-5 times a week, before work, after work, evenings and weekends.
hes already looking to upgrade his kayak to something a little bigger.  Im pushing him to sign up here so you can all meet him.
Tough to beat a Hobie kayak with both paddle and peddle drives(can use arms and(or) leggs). The peddles("Mirage Drive")are actually more efficent than the paddle(4mph trolling speed possible with peddles.

Then there's the Slayer kayaks with a propeller linked to bicycle like peddles/chain. This one has instant reverse capability. I saw one at the West Marine store in San Carlos a couple a years ago.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fishy247

QuoteUpdate!

That's awesome Dave! Has he taken the yak out on the bay yet? I'd think he could really put a hurtin on the local halibut....

David Hall

Quote from: Fishy247 on November 24, 2019, 12:55:10 AM
QuoteUpdate!

That's awesome Dave! Has he taken the yak out on the bay yet? I'd think he could really put a hurtin on the local halibut....

No he's not ready for the ocean, his last trip out on a 14' dinghy, he had a 15' GWS swim under the boat and scared the Beegeezus out of him.  He's not thinking about the ocean yet.

Fishy247

Update!

No he's not ready for the ocean, his last trip out on a 14' dinghy, he had a 15' GWS swim under the boat and scared the Beegeezus out of him.  He's not thinking about the ocean yet.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I had one checking out my outboard 2 years ago and it's given me second thoughts about yakkin on the bay myself!

David Hall

Justin has taken his yakkin to a new level, my garage/reel repair/boat maintenence/auto/woodworking/fishing gear storage has turned into a major nightmare with so many projects going in and out I can barely move, (because I havent put everything back in its place after finishing).
he has upgraded to an OLd Town 12' with pedal drive and we even upgraded that recently to include a Bixspy electric drive.  Hes been fishing bass tournements and hes off on one today, having a ball.  still hasnt taken the time to check in and meet any of our yakkers here but hes almost convinced me that I need one.  it would be fun to take one down one of our river systems and fish for a few day trip.
Ill keep working on him to get involved here I know hed fit right in and enjoy.