Higher Speed Option for old 113?

Started by nelz, November 09, 2019, 03:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I just picked up a neglected 4/0 113 black plates, for a too good to pass on price at the flea market. It cleaned up nice and I used it already. Tons of torque with the 2:1, but just toooo slooowwww....

Is there a higher speed option for the agravatingly slow 2:1 on this reel?  Perhaps swaping from a different model Penn?

mo65

Quote from: nelz on November 09, 2019, 03:32:37 PM
I just picked up a neglected 4/0 113 black plates, for a too good to pass on price at the flea market. It cleaned up nice and I used it already. Tons of torque with the 2:1, but just toooo slooowwww....

Hi Nelz,
   It's not as slow as it seems...it's just those numbers...2:1 sounds like a snail's pace! You just have take a little deeper look into the well. Here's a link to a comment I made about this subject a while back. And yes, the torque is fantastic on these reels. 8)

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24946.msg334331#msg334331
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

I get your point Mo. Well, after all, I did plan on using this one only for winching those brutal Snookies out from straight down under the pier. Those fish will break you off in a heartbeat if you don't turn them right away.

It's only a few yards of reeling. I can't imagine using this reel to fish any further out than that!

mo65

Quote from: nelz on November 09, 2019, 07:11:30 PM
I get your point Mo. Well, after all, I did plan on using this one only for winching those brutal Snookies out from straight down under the pier. Those fish will break you off in a heartbeat if you don't turn them right away.

It's only a few yards of reeling. I can't imagine using this reel to fish any further out than that!

Oh yeah...winchin' from the pier would be right in this reel's wheelhouse. Keep the spool filled...the bigger it is...the faster it will crank. I'd be curious to see what the "inches per turn" figure is after Sal's mod though, probably even be higher than the Ambassadeur then.  8)

wfjord

Quote from: nelz on November 09, 2019, 07:11:30 PM

Back when I lived near snook territory, I started off using a 113h for jerking big snook up from around bridge and dock pilings at night.  I don't know how much difference the higher gear ratio made since it seemed more like being engaged in a quick wrestling match (that I usually lost), but it certainly didn't hurt.  I switched over to a Sealine 47h for chunking in around pilings from a boat as it was easier to handle and cast.

nelz

<- <- <-  That's me in my avatar with a snook on the line.  ;D

Alto Mare

Hello neltz, you could bump it up to 2.6:1 as I did here and it will actually feel smoother.
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.msg93421#msg93421

Best ,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nelz

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 10, 2019, 03:45:12 AMHello neltz, you could bump it up to 2.6:1 as I did here and it will actually feel smoother.

Sal, so you used a 5-149 main and a 13-113H pinion, but said "will need to grind the opening about 1/16" to be able to fit the main gear". Not sure I understand, do you mean this opening?

day0ne

I believe he is talking about the hole the gear fits into in the sideplate. I didn't need to grind mine.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Alto Mare

Yes as David mentioned I meant the opening on the plate, but it has to do with the one you gave.
Some plates will not need it, mine did and it is only from the inner side.

These reels are just fine as they are and as Mo has mentioned they make great winches at low speed.

With that said, I personally prefer the upgraded version.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nelz

Thanks guys.

Sal - FYI, the reel already feels very smooth! The stock gears are tight and bright and shiny after I cleaned them. I thought maybe they were stainless steel, but everything else is stock so I doubt it.  However, I think I am going to do this change anyway, just 'cause I'm addicted to tinkering with reels, lol.  ;D

mo65

Quote from: nelz on November 10, 2019, 03:26:53 PM
Thanks guys.

Sal - FYI, the reel already feels very smooth! The stock gears are tight and bright and shiny after I cleaned them. I thought maybe they were stainless steel, but everything else is stock so I doubt it.  However, I think I am going to do thischange anyway, just 'cause I'm addicted to tinkering with reels, lol.  ;D

I think I may do this mod to my 113 also Nelz. It sounds like a fairly simple procedure, and has to make the "inches per turn" figure look better.

nelz

Just hope I won't need to grind the opening though, 'cause that would be a deal breaker. It's gotta be done very precisely, and I'm not equiped for that.

mo65

I don't think it has to be that precise Nelz...if I'm reading this right. All you're doing is shaving a little off the side plate so the taller gear fits in the hole. A hand held Dremel can zip that out real easy.