Penn 9/0 reel needs drag service do I dare??

Started by rebait1, April 07, 2019, 05:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebait1

Paws, and enjoy Life !

RowdyW

The 2 washers that you say are distorted are made that way. They are spring washers to make the drag increase more gradual. The 2 fiber washers that you dug out are asbestos brake linings & there is another fiber washer in there to get rid of. They are replaced by a 5 washer set of HT-100 carbon fiber washers that are greased with Cal's Drag Grease. If you can't get the third fiber washer out you will have to disassemble the reel to get the main gear out to pry, chop,scrape, etc to get it out. One of the reasons the reel is jerkey with little adjustment is that that third washer is frozen to the main gear & it is made with outdated material not to mention that asbestos is dangrous to your health.           Rudy

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

rebait1

Paws, and enjoy Life !

Hardy Boy

Thats the bottom of the main gear. Replace with your new washers and ................ enjoy.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

rebait1

Quote from: foakes on April 07, 2019, 10:59:27 PM
When doing the full service, as well as a new drag stack —

A new under gear washer is recommended also —

(3) ways to go —

Stock new friction washer — install dry.

CF washer — install lightly greased.

Delrin washer — install dry.

Wherever you ordered the drag stack from — order an under gear washer of your choice also — it is just another dollar, or less — and they will not ship out the order until early tomorrow morning.  So if you do it today — no extra shipping cost.

Do you have a part number for that??
Paws, and enjoy Life !

Gfish

That last picture you took was a good one, lot's a detail. Should be a 4 - 115 for the stock Penn washer( "under-gear"washer). Best IMHO is the delrin that Smoooth Drag would carry. I think you gotta take apart the right side-plate to replace that'n. PM me if we're on the same page and I can eaisly mail you one, n/c.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

take the reel apart & do it propaly, then you can place the undergear wash in there, I am sure you can manage it, make sure you use nice fitting screw drivers, work close to your body, so the screw drives dont slip of & cratch your chrome rings, you can do it, I have my money on your, take your time, if you get confused, there is plenty of help here, a delrin washer under the star is a good idea to, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

Quote from: rebait1 on April 08, 2019, 10:42:42 PM
I have to go in further???

You don't have to go further.  However, the photo shows rust around the main gear.  There must be more rust inside.  I know you are reluctant to go any further but you really should give that reel a full service.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Quote from: Dominick on April 10, 2019, 02:11:31 AM

I have to go in further???

You don't have to go further.  However, the photo shows rust around the main gear.  There must be more rust inside.  I know you are reluctant to go any further but you really should give that reel a full service.  Dominick

Dominick is exactly right — there are enough telltale signs showing in your pics — that the reel would benefit from a complete clean & service.

And if you decide to stick around to learn more — in a short period of time — you will also recognize what needs to be done — and you can in turn help others with your knowledge.

With the amount of rust and gouges evident in the gear, on the sleeve, under the ring edges — the entire reel inside would run and fish 100% — if restored properly.

And, I doubt if anything else would be needed — except the drag stack and under gear washer — and the reel drive train components properly lubed with Cal's for the drag stack — and either Yamaha Marine or Penn grease for the gears and other innards.  After cleaning up — also grease the underside of the rings, along with the screws when reassembling.

These Penn Senator reels are like Lazarus rising from the dead — they turn out great, and will fish well for another 40 years.

No big expense — just time for a restore — and there are plenty of folks here to guide you through — it is very simple.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

rebait1

I did watch a vid on a full tear down, but can't find one here. Would  someone please post the link I'm getting ready to go in deep!
Paws, and enjoy Life !

Alto Mare

Rebait, couldn't find a video, but Fred has a nice layout of the inner parts
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13430.msg135437#msg135437
Older Penn reels are pretty much the same, if you see one you've seen them all.
Give it a shot, we would not let you down if you need us.
Worse come to worst, you put it in a ziplock bag and send it to one of the member for assembly. Your cost would only be shipping.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

I'd be willing to do it, although Sal is practically a neighbor.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

rebait1

Thanks guys. I see what you all mean. Even though that rust cleaned up pretty good there...... it's a good indication that everything else (at least on that side) under the side plate is probably in desperate need of TLC

So I'll do a full tear down. 3 Prayers!!!
Paws, and enjoy Life !

Keta

Go for it and like Sal said worse case you can ship it in a baggy to one of us to fix.

Quote from: rebait1 on April 08, 2019, 09:54:14 PM
These 2 washers very distorted

Like Rudy posted above they are wavy spring washers and that's the way they are made.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain