Penn 9/0 reel needs drag service do I dare??

Started by rebait1, April 07, 2019, 05:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebait1

I got it off thanks to a small punch from harbor Freight

Good news is....I was able to re assemble accept for the spring and anti revers dog. That's going to take some work. But......I am having issues!

1. Should I order Cals drag grease? I have Penn lube and oil

2. What is the part number for the small 'spring' that's like a small hair pin  bent to 45 degree and works with anti reverse dog?? It went MIA  IS IT THE ECCENTRIC SPRING  2-114???

3. I damaged 1 frame post screw on handle side. So it's the longer of the 2 crews. What's it's part number 39-13??
Paws, and enjoy Life !

rebait1

Quote from: Gfish on April 09, 2019, 10:29:16 PM
That last picture you took was a good one, lot's a detail. Should be a 4 - 115 for the stock Penn washer( "under-gear"washer). Best IMHO is the delrin that Smoooth Drag would carry. I think you gotta take apart the right side-plate to replace that'n. PM me if we're on the same page and I can eaisly mail you one, n/c.

Thanks I see what you mean the one in place is in bad shape. I PM'ed you please let me know if you can still send it, I'll PayPal costs of course !!
Paws, and enjoy Life !

RowdyW

The dog spring is 14-116. It comes straight. Just bend it enough as you are putting it in The less bend the more tension. Yes, get a small container of Cal's grease for the drags. An ounce or two will last through quite a few reels. I use flux brushes from HF with the bristles shortened about 1/2 with a scissor to apply grease. 2-114 is a chrome side ring on the plate. The eccentric spring is 20-114. My guess is you need the copper strip that is the dog spring.        Rudy

foakes

If you are already getting the screw and dog spring from someone else — good.

If you haven't made arrangements yet — I would be glad to send them to you tomorrow — N/C.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

rebait1

Wow you guys are incredible!!!

Here's what I need. Anyone who sends stuff to me will be paid via PayPal. (I've finally gotten into the 20th century) I PM'ed my info to you foakes

14-116 dog spring.........(2)

37-115 frame posts (2)

39-13 Handle side set screws (2)

4-115 Undergear Fiber Washer (1)

And Cal grease which I see for 10 bucks including shipping (Kind of takes fun out of it lol)

MY MESSAGES SEEM STUCK LET ME KNOW IF IT ARRIVED
Paws, and enjoy Life !

Gfish

Alright, Hoss! You "manned up", and yer gettin 'er done. Delrin "undergear washer" in the mail.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

OK, Dave —

Since Greg has you covered on the delrin UG washer —

I can send these out, if they will work for you.

All are New Old Stock except the posts — but these two appear to be of the same quality or better than what is on that 9/0 you are servicing.

Got your address — let me know if these are OK.

You mentioned (2) dog springs — why?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

rebait1

In case I screw it up foakes. And thank you guys help and support greatly appreciated.
Paws, and enjoy Life !

foakes

Got it, Dave —

Will ship it tomorrow.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

thorhammer

Rebait, you googled into about the best collection of people you might find. Life, period. Not just reels.

rebait1

Quote from: foakes on April 15, 2019, 09:54:36 PM
Got it, Dave —

Will ship it tomorrow.

Best,

Fred

GOT IT THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow you da man! Please send me contact info via messenger and dollar amount.
Paws, and enjoy Life !

foakes

--------

Fred O.

Donnyboat

There you go Dave I told you, you could do it, unfortunately, I could`nt get any takers, as far as bets go, please send photo when finished, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

rebait1

I've been awaiting delivery of Cal's drag grease...just saw the reason for th 6 to 8 week delivery time. It shipped from down under!

So I can't stand it any longer I'm going in to rebuild today. I can always take the drags back out.
Paws, and enjoy Life !

Swami805

Smooth drag has cals grease here in the states,should only take a couple days to get it. I'm sure there's other vendors here too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are