To lap or not metal drag washers

Started by bill19803, April 13, 2019, 06:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

And after all that work of polishing & everything is square you will need a spacer sleeve that the base is the same diameter as the top keyed washer that is machined perfectly flat and the bore is perfectly 90 degrees to it's base. Any difference in the diameter of the sleeve base will put uneven pressure across the upper keyed washer which can multiply downward to the rest of the drag pack. Especially under heavy drag.

mo65

Quote from: bill19803 on April 15, 2019, 10:20:13 AM
  Not  gonna  try  to  thin  them  enough  to   get  another  one  into  the  stack,  just  make them   smooth   and  flat,  get  rid  of  concave/convex   and  and burrs  from  stamping.

Exactly...that's all we're intending to do anyway. I've never even polished any long enough to get them completely perfect, but they sure worked better afterwards. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

If looking for flat and perfect, Bryan has come up with one of the best kits available.
Me personally wouldn't even waste my time and just go with those, but I understand if one has to use the older washers and try to make them better.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bill19803

So my drag insert kit came, I got out the metals and gave then a quick trip across  4 grades of emery cloth glued to plate glass first observation of polishing pattern  showed no  significant distortion on any of the metals on either side, so just did a polish and called it a day. Polishing patterns showed no surface irregularities, no distortion. Cant check parallelism of sides but it really shouldn't matter.

philaroman

way back, someone here suggested coloring the steel discs w/ permanent marker, first, so you could see otherwise undetectable deformities disappear as you polish