cutting vise grips to make cross pin pliers

Started by alantani, April 09, 2019, 10:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hardy Boy

Thanks for that Alan. I wish I saw that the other week when I emailed you. I made a pair by mistake that work well. I tried to drill a hole at the end of a pair of vice grips, it did not work and the tip of the one side broke off 1/4 inch short, I filed a groove/ notch in the shortened tip (to fit the pin) and they work awesome.

cheers:

Todd
Todd

Alto Mare

Very nice boss, I like the way you take your time with it...a pro at work.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

Video is not complete?  I want to watch a pin being removed, how do I know it works?

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Cor

I just made myself a similar tool, used a small angle grinder to cut the slot and that worked very well.
The vice grip has the leverage my previous tool lacked and works perfectly!
Thanks for the tip!
Cornelis

alantani

That is exactly the reason that vise grips make the perfect starting tool. You have the ability to precisely adjust the amount of pressure delivered to the head of the pin. You do have to grind the face of the jaws as flat as possible.  That way you decrease the risk of mushrooming the pin.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Quote from: alantani on April 13, 2019, 05:44:23 PM
That is exactly the reason that vise grips make the perfect starting tool. You have the ability to precisely adjust the amount of pressure delivered to the head of the pin. You do have to grind the face of the jaws as flat as possible.  That way you decrease the risk of mushrooming the pin.
Yes, and what I also enjoyed especially was adjusting the screw on the vice grip to precisely the correct depth setting to avoid seating the pin too deep and having to turn it around and do the other side again. 8)
Cornelis

Gfish

That looks stronger than what I did. I ground a pair of needle-nose vice grips, from the tip of onea the jaws down, insteda from the side. Also, I added a "dimple" to the other jaw to better hold the pin as it's squeezed.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

nice video Jefe

I did something alike few years back when I saw yours on a tutorial, but I cut mine different, the idea is the same I just found this worked better for me

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15012.msg155077#msg155077
The Baja Guy

kmstorm64

Quote from: David Hall on April 10, 2019, 04:43:49 AM
Video is not complete?  I want to watch a pin being removed, how do I know it works?

Same here, not seeing how this would benefit, without seeing it in action.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

The Fishing Hobby

What is the cross pin? Is it is a pressed in pin on a shaft of some sort on a conventional reel? I'm a spinning reel guy so please excuse my ignorance!  ;D

Gfish

On older spinners, there's sometimes a cross-pin that holds either the spool or the click gear, on the spool shaft.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Gfish on May 17, 2019, 05:46:43 AM
On older spinners, there's sometimes a cross-pin that holds either the spool or the click gear, on the spool shaft.
Right, usually on push button release spools. There is rarely a reason to remove those (I've never needed to). They are pretty easy to get at too. I'm thinking if there is a need to make a special tool to remove/install these pins, there must be a part that is serviced regularly that has a pin the needs to be removed on something other than a spinning reel.