3001 home again

Started by basto, April 10, 2019, 08:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Greg, somehow parts for these reels are harder to find, compared to the earlier models. I know Fred has all of us covered, but just in case a part is giving you a hard time, let me know if I could help.
I purchased these about a year ago, the parts were around $500, but shipping was really high, I think around $200.
The gentleman actually made a mistake quoting me, he was about $100 short, but I took care of it.

I would need the bad part though, most of these got mixed up during shipping.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Greg, I'm curious to know how your drag comes out as compared to the original.

My testing has shown the simple asbestos, cork drag on my 5001's to not be lacking in any way. Start up resistance, smoothness, & heat resistance in these is not surpassed by any reel today. Except by maybe the new Stella or new this year Diawa Exist. That is saying a lot. So at present I'm choosing to not mess with a good thing. I did lightly grease the cork washer below the spool.  Lost a little bit of upper drag. But hey, all these models make more than enough "Fishable" drag to spare. 

Please give us report on how your new carbon drag works out... Jeff

basto

Sal
I will keep you in mind if I need a part for the 3001, thanks.
The 3001 was only made from 1980-1982. I think I paid about $300.00AUD in 1985 for mine, and I never knew anyone else who had one.
A fishing writer called Vic McCristal in Australia used to write about the 1000-5000 series and I had to have a DAM.
My first one was a 220. Vic also got me into ABU reels.

Jeff
Both drag washers in my reel are the same. Asbestos but no cork. They were in such a bad state with fine sand and dirt on them, I decided on carbontex, but I won't be throwing them out. I will give a report on how the reel performs when I can get on the water.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Rivverrat

Greg it looks like they used asbestos on the bottom of the spool also. The 5001 & think the 4001used a cork washer.

Alto Mare

Quote from: basto on April 13, 2019, 09:27:32 PM
Sal
I will keep you in mind if I need a part for the 3001, thanks.
The 3001 was only made from 1980-1983. I think I paid about $300.00AUD in 1985 for mine, and I never knew anyone else who had one.
A fishing writer called Vic McCristal in Australia used to write about the 1000-5000 series and I had to have a DAM.
My first one was a 220. Vic also got me into ABU reels.

Jeff
Both drag washers in my reel are the same. Felt but no cork. They were in such a bad state with fine sand and dirt on them, I decided on carbontex, but I won't be throwing them out. I will give a report on how the reel performs when I can get on the water.
That explains why these parts are so hard to find, Greg.
I wonder why such a short run, it's a great reel.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Sal, I've wondered the same about these reels. I know they were pricey for the time they were made.

Wonder how many of the 01series were made ?

happyhooker

Those reading these posts: if you have not read foakes post on this AT site from last Sept. on the 5001, take a peek, and, especially, look at the Hawk article referred to.  I gather much said about the 5001 applies to the 3001 and other reels of this series. Also discusses Sal's question about the short run of the 3001.

Frank

basto

I got my new pinion bearing this morning and after polishing the inside of the pinion shaft with some Autosol paste and installing it, the reel feels very nice again. Surprisingly, the spool shaft was in very good condition and now my old 3001 is ready for some 40lb Sunline braid.
Greg

basto

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 13, 2019, 10:20:53 PM
Greg it looks like they used asbestos on the bottom of the spool also. The 5001 & think the 4001used a cork washer.

Jeff
I am going back to the original drag washers after what Alan Hawk said about the top washer in the 5001
They do feel very smooth since I have cleaned them up.
Greg

Midway Tommy

Looks great, Greg! Now take him out there and catch some fish for an even better reunion!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Donnyboat

looks Great Greg, you said the bail was frozen, did you take any pics as you worked on the bail, they can be tricky to put back together, you have really put some years of life back into the reel, great job, enjoy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

basto

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 19, 2019, 02:40:52 AM
Looks great, Greg! Now take him out there and catch some fish for an even better reunion!  ;D

Looking forward to it Tommy

basto

Quote from: Donnyboat on April 19, 2019, 02:54:24 AM
looks Great Greg, you said the bail was frozen, did you take any pics as you worked on the bail, they can be tricky to put back together, you have really put some years of life back into the reel, great job, enjoy, cheers Don.

Hi Don
I didn't`t take any pics of the bail apart sorry mate. I know exactly what you mean though .I am usually a bit intimidated by bail mechanisms and take things very cautiously.

Rivverrat

Greg, not sure how the drag on these reels do with repeated long runs using 60 - 80 line with appropriate drag.
Fish I'm after dont do this. The drag set on yours I'm venturing it would be a non issue. I do wonder about the cork or whatever the washer is that's glued to the bottom of the spool. But this far its proved to pretty durable... Jeff

foakes

Excellent job!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.