3001 home again

Started by basto, April 10, 2019, 08:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 19, 2019, 01:20:45 PM
Greg, not sure how the drag on these reels do with repeated long runs using 60 - 80 line with appropriate drag.
Fish I'm after dont do this. The drag set on yours I'm venturing it would be a non issue. I do wonder about the cork or whatever the washer is that's glued to the bottom of the spool. But this far its proved to pretty durable... Jeff

Yes Jeff, I have never had a reel with a cork drag. Don't know much about them, but have seen some quality reels with them.
One thing I am going to add is the separator washer that sits between the metal drag washer and the plastic spool cap to stop heat affecting the plastic cap.  
My reel never had one of them, but it appears on the 5001 and looks like a good idea.  I`m wondering what its made of.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Rivverrat

Quote from: basto on April 19, 2019, 09:22:11 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on April 19, 2019, 01:20:45 PM
Greg, not sure how the drag on these reels do with repeated long runs using 60 - 80 line with appropriate drag.
Fish I'm after dont do this. The drag set on yours I'm venturing it would be a non issue. I do wonder about the cork or whatever the washer is that's glued to the bottom of the spool. But this far its proved to pretty durable... Jeff

One thing I am going to add is the separator washer that sits between the metal drag washer and the plastic spool cap to stop heat affecting the plastic cap.  
My reel never had one of them, but it appears on the 5001 and looks like a good idea.  I`m wondering what its made of.
Greg

Greg, I noticed your pics didnt show this washer. I just thought at the time you had it but it wasnt in the pic. This washers appears to be asbestos but of a different weave. I personally believe it is needed for any one using these reels for salt water fish.  I want a Penn Torque spinner in a very bad way. In all honesty the 5001 will do  any thing I need & do it extremely well... except for the parts availability thing... Jeff

basto

Yes, agree on the PENN Torque. A very desirable spinner.
Greg

Alto Mare

I'm thinking adding a couple to get to the correct thickness wouldn't hurt anything., but looks like you have it working just fine.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 13, 2019, 01:06:35 PM
I'm thinking adding a couple to get to the correct thickness wouldn't hurt anything., but looks like you have it working just fine.

Sal

Yes Sal, I`ll quit while I'm ahead now. (if it ain`t broke, don't fix it)

Greg

sorry about this late photo

I thought the old girl deserved a new coat of paint

Alto Mare

Quote from: basto on June 13, 2019, 11:06:55 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on June 13, 2019, 01:06:35 PM

Sal

Yes Sal, I`ll quit while I'm ahead now. (if it ain`t broke, don't fix it)

Greg

I agree Greg!

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.