United Composites 7'6" Predator

Started by Rivverrat, April 13, 2019, 01:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: alantani on April 14, 2019, 05:52:55 PM
I do not own a predator, but have looked at them. Personally, I would fish them with a 50 pound reel set up at 15 pounds at strike and 25 pounds at full. Very nice rod.

Alan, first thing I plan on doing with my Predator if I ever get it wrapped is to put a bend in it with drag at 20 lbs. just flexing this blank with tip in the carpet it sure doesn't feel like a 60 class blank. Many I know & respect their opinions fish this blank as a 60 rod.

Regardless my plans will be to fish it with drag at 10 - 15 lbs. bumping it up as needed. Thing is, with Randy's rods I have found I can fish a very lite rod with high drag with out to much concern of it breaking.

When fish is taking line I simply point the rod at the fish. When fish stops taking line I can pull to the point the rod is bottomed out & wind. I am not recommending any one do it this way. I can only say it has worked well for me when I find my self with a little to lite of a rod in my hands at time while using UC's rods... Jeff

MarkT

When the fish is taking line I keep the rod at a 90 degree angle to the fish. I want the fish to work for every foot of line it takes!   The Predator bends pretty deep with 20# of drag... just the way I like it.  If the rod isn't bending, it isn't working!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

philaroman

90* is great when all the tackle & target species are nicely matched...

45* or less, is where you may need to drop, when you're under-gunned
& your rod is the weak link (esp. w/ braid)

Rivverrat

Quote from: philaroman on April 15, 2019, 12:13:56 AM
90* is great when all the tackle & target species are nicely matched...

45* or less, is where you may need to drop, when you're under-gunned
& your rod is the weak link (esp. w/ braid)

You got it. Marks describing the technique he uses when  the combo being used is matched well to the fish at the end of the line. Mark, I dont have any of your all's experience when it comes to catching fish over
150 lbs. I hope to some day to go on a long range trip. For me it will be a once in my life time trip if it ever happens at all.  

With that said I've never understood keeping the rod in a strong bend while they are taking line. A lot, many people do this. As I see it a person is at best, when doing this adding a little drag from added friction by the line being forced harder against the guides.  I can do the same by moving the lever a little foreword. I've had people hold a rod while I took scales & pulled line from the reel while they held the rod pointed at me & also while bent. The gains made I found, to me weren't worth it when using heavy drag & there are more fish to be caught. Just seemed to make the angler work harder than necessary for any gain being made.

Now the scenario I'm speaking of is with the fish being out in front, when fishing bottom, wreck or fishing around rocks things I think do change.

Mark, I say this just for the sake of conversation & gaining knowledge. While also knowing you have done pretty doggone good for your self on your fishing ventures.  So if I'm wrong or some one can scrutinize what I've stated here Please, by any means do so. I come here to learn. Not because I have to be right... Jeff