Marine wash down pumps question.

Started by gstours, April 14, 2019, 03:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on April 14, 2019, 07:30:05 PM
Quote from: El Pescador on April 14, 2019, 05:20:01 PM
PLEASE! 

Someone come up with a better idea here!!!

or

Dominick & I will be bucket & mop washing the USS Maiko this summer during our week-long Aug. 2019 Silver Salmon trip to Gustavus, AK to visit Gary-The-BUTTman and MaryJo!

ANY IDEAS PLEASE ;D

Wayne

Yo Wayno...speak for yourself.   :D Dominick

Slick!  How 'bout some support here!!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Wayne, you got your monies worth out of that bucket, time you traded it in, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on April 14, 2019, 09:45:41 PM
Quote from: Dominick on April 14, 2019, 07:30:05 PM
Quote from: El Pescador on April 14, 2019, 05:20:01 PM
PLEASE! 

Someone come up with a better idea here!!!

or

Dominick & I will be bucket & mop washing the USS Maiko this summer during our week-long Aug. 2019 Silver Salmon trip to Gustavus, AK to visit Gary-The-BUTTman and MaryJo!

ANY IDEAS PLEASE ;D

Wayne

Yo Wayno...speak for yourself.   :D Dominick

Slick!  How 'bout some support here!!!!!

Wayne

Okay-okay...I'll carry the bucket to the boat.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

I'm about to replace mine for the second time in 10 years, not so bad as far as I am concerned. I've been using Rule pumps for my baitwell and my washdown and I use both on every trip.  If I'm catching fish I'm washing scales and blood off the deck, if aim not catching fish I'm using the down time to wash the dirt and grime off the deck and rail.  They lose performance after about four years then I curse them for another year for barely working, then I replace them and aim happy for four more years.  Wish I had a better solution to offer but this is where I go.

gstours

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas 💡.  I've had 4 different brands of wash down pumps and none seem very reliable after a year.   Maybe the things need more maintenance like Alan said? 
   In the winter here the bucket is great.   But I was thinking 🤔 of going back to try another one for the summer.  Generally I,m the one lifting the water bucket .   
   I like to clean and ice salmon within a few minutes of getting the lines back down  in the warm summer of southeast,   so it can be a lot of work.   First you must catch a fish, right?🎣.       Right Slick?    You,ll see.😤.     

Dominick

Quote from: gstours on April 15, 2019, 09:41:36 PM
  First you must catch a fish, right?🎣.       Right Slick?    You,ll see.😤.    

Ha ha it looks like you got Slick's number...   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

as soon as the fish hits my deck.
1. Lines back in the water
2. bonk fish just to settle him down not kill him.
3. cut gills to bleed out.
4. rinse and in the ice.
5. wash down decks and gear and everything else that got blood all over it.
6. repeat 1-5 as needed.

id like to know if you have tried either the Jabsco 80psi or the Johnson 75psi pumps?  I need a new one, I can piss more pressure than my current pump and Im old!
those two look on paper like good heavy duty pumps and theyre over $100 so im wondering if anyone has real world experience with them.  im leaning to the jabsco cuz the strainer and water connections are pop in pop out twist lock

gstours

Thanks Dave,  I,m leaning towards the Johnson wash down pump,  it's the only one I've never tried.   It's possibly a new comer?  I had a Johnson bilge for years butt now got a big Rule and it's very reliable.
    As for bailing 🚿 I,m thinking 🤔 the captain 🚣‍♀️ is waay too important and busy to 🧽 clean and make coffee,  so that kinda puts the burden on Slick, huh Dommie?🤔

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on April 16, 2019, 03:28:21 AM
Quote from: gstours on April 15, 2019, 09:41:36 PM
  First you must catch a fish, right?🎣.       Right Slick?    You,ll see.😤.    

Ha ha it looks like you got Slick's number...   :D ;D Dominick

Holy Moly!  What is going on  here???

I, like the rest of you on this site, enjoy a little "Dry Shaving"!!!  A friendly comment that just stings a little - That's Dry Shaving!

BUTT, you two are elevating this to a whole new level!

Still, we will be Silver Salmon Fishing this August in Gustavus, AK - Bring it on!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

theswimmer

Gary ,
We have used this pump for 6 or 7 years on the big sailboat.
The boat gets used year round about 15 days a month .
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shurflo--5gpm-pro-blaster-ii-ultimate-5-0-washdown-pump-kit-12v-dc--14153217?recordNum=3

No problems of any kind . We did replace the impeller during spring maintenance last year as well as clean and grease with the Yamaha Blue .
We also have a bypass and run about a gallon of fresh water thru at the end of each day .
My experience with Johnson pumps in general has not been good .
I installed 3 bilge pumps in a week in my runabout , alll would not pump to a 18 inch head ,and finally went back to a Rule .

Just my 2 cents
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

gstours

Thanks, for the kind and unkind words.   Usually the pressure switch is the first to fail in my opinion.  Ok the bucket is reliable butt heavy.   I'm going to grease everything before the installation.   🤞

handi2

I use Jabsco automatic wash down pumps. Mine is 9 years old. I also have a 30 gallon fresh water tank that goes to my marine misters, a sink we never use, and a wash down marine grade hose bib.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

milne

Just found this thread,
         I'm just going through the scenario on my rig, currently have replaced transom, stringers and floor, and lifted the transom up to carry a 25 inch leg.
Every thing has been redone, Now, to fit off all my pumps, I've stuck with rule for bilge and live bait tank pumps, but have gone for a larger pressurised pump for my wash down, cant recall  the brand, but a few mates have recommended them for their pressure and seemingly longivity.  It's annoying when a pump dies, especially when your out fishing, I carry at least one rule pump, that can quickly be swapped out should one go, nothing worse than a live bait tank full and the pump dies. I find the rule pumps ok, however, after having lost 2 in a season, the type that have the auto option included inside, is just another device to go wrong with it, I now only use the rule with a separate auto switch and they seem to last. I was running a sure flow up until the re build started, but wasn't real happy with it's performance, so will be interesting to see how this new one goes.  Couldn't be without a deck wash now, quick and easy to hose everything down after bleeding fish or ink stains from squid,  and just quietly, comes in handy when some of these clowns decide to anchor right on top of me at times   ;D.   Just got to decide whether to use a thru hull fitting for my pick up. or run a pick up up and over the transom, 
Hate drilling thru a brand new transom, i'm shivering even contemplating it !!!!

Col

JoePlo

Funny I finally get back on this amazing site and find topics I should have been reading months ago. I just replaced the pump on my 25' Steiger with a Jasco 7gpm. I actually called the guys at Steiger and asked them what they recommended. Said they have tried em all, even European brands and more often then not, all pumps give out in 3-5 years. Asked them about corrosion since when I tore down the last one it was pretty beat up looking and they said its more of a switch problem? Either way I spent more money got a new Jabsco. Hopefully it lasts but for now it sure beats using a bucket.