Problem with left side bearing on a monofil 26

Started by Darin Crofton, April 09, 2019, 08:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Help please! I'm having a problem with a monofil 26 I'm restoring, if I use the left side stock bearing/spring it's hard to get it to work right when it's tightened at all, if I leave the bearing very loose it spins and works ok, but obviously the spool moves a lot and I wouldn't fish with it like this. I have a spare Newell bearing that I tried and it works great, even when screwed all the way tight. Only problem is I want to sell the reel in working condition with the stock components and not using the Newell bearing. Any ideas what is happening all you reel experts out there? Thank you!  ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

What you really need is a small stock of bearings. Often the bearing that performs poor in one reel will work great in the next. Never throw any away...there's always a place they'll work.
  For the time being, you need to remove the bearing and the spool and have a look at how they mate up. Might be a bur on the spool shaft. Since the Newell bearing worked, there could be a bur on the stock bearing. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

Thanks for the tips, Mike, I have a bin of spare penn parts that came in a lot I bought and there's some extra bearings in there, I'll try them all if need be!

mo65

Quote from: Darin Crofton on April 09, 2019, 08:59:51 PM
I have a bin of spare penn parts that came in a lot I bought and there's some extra bearings in there, I'll try them all if need be!

Yes indeed...try them all. I'd be shocked if there isn't one that works perfectly.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Ron Jones

I agree, with that much play it would be best to find a better fitting bearing. Alternatively, you can shim the inside of the bearing with small teflon dots, bt it sounds like a bunch of shimming would be needed.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

did you use the spring with the newell bearing?  If not try it without the spring
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Swami805 on April 09, 2019, 09:19:31 PM
did you use the spring with the newell bearing?  If not try it without the spring
Yes, there was a spring with the Newell bearing and it works great. I'm going to try some different Penn bearings when I get home later and see if one of them works normally, thanks!

foakes

If you get stuck without the right bearings, Darin —

I can send you a couple at N/C.

Am down in Fresno right now — but should have plenty of new ones in the Penn parts bins.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.