Dam quick Sls0

Started by Cubby1973, April 16, 2019, 08:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cubby1973

Picked this up on "the bay" for a twenty including shipping. Not near the same quality, but its smooth and seems good enough for some trout and panfish action. Included some pics of reel inside and out and a comparison to the 110N. The drag is...unique. Looks like a couple of black hard fiber or plastic, not sure what to do about lube if any so I tried grease, not any better.

Thanks
Jeff

philaroman

WOW, thanks for posting -- reminds me of a question for Fred:

are any of the SLS spools compatible w/ the better 4-digit DAM's?  (esp., the 02's !!!)

if not spools, per se, could "complete top" spool/rotor be swapped?

foakes

I think some of them are — but am not sure, Roman —

I do have '01, '02, and SLS spools. 

But never tried to mix them.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Silvers

The SL and also the SLS have hollow spools, not compatible with the Quick 1000s.

But they are compatible with the Shimano G-Series, which was the mother of the SL/SLS.

Shimano didnt had a feet into europe's angling world but they want it, the result was a cooperation contract with DAM.
DAM sold tackle for Shimano in europe (the G-Series was sold as Shimano and also as DAM-Shimano), and Shimano build a reel for DAM....the SL/SLS.

Btw, the original SL/SLS had silver color, your black reel is the export version which was only sold in the states.
The worst reel of the SL/SLS is the SL 2/SLS-2.

Same way goes Daiwa with the Silver Series-D, but only for Canada. The 1300D/2600D was sold there in Black as 1300E/2600E.

happyhooker

Some of the Shimano spinning reels of the same general era (I'm thinking of the MLXs--maybe others too) had drag washers that these DAM Qs remind me of.  I've seen the Shimanos run dry without any problem, although I believe some folks here have also used them with a thin coat of grease.

Frank

Silvers

Most of the knowing Shimano reels are mainly from the 80s, the MLX too.
The G-Series was introduced 1976, 2 years later coming the DAM SL and 1 year later the SLS.

The DAM-series are not bad reels, except the SL 2/SLS 2, which is the crappiest of the series.
In near every series of any manufacturer are 1 piece which goes a cheaper way like the other ones.
Daiwa did that with the silver series (1500C, which is the same like the 1050 with black spool or the yapanese market ST900P...all are same reel, no ball bearing, bad gear, cheap handle).

The Shimano G-series had only 4 sizes (G-1 to G-4), the SL had 5 sizes (SL1 to 5) and the SLS had 6 sizes (SLS 0 to 5).
The SL had an outside bail-kick system, the SLS an internal except the SLS 5, which had the same outside bail-kick like the SL before.