Saltiga SA30

Started by Pappy, April 23, 2019, 03:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pappy

I have the original Saltiga SA30, I opened it up to change out the drags due to only being able to get half the drag pressure the reel puts out. I seen pieces of rubber in the side plate. It looks like Key no. 57, water shield C has come unseated and got torn to pieces.

My question is: Is this seal absolutely necessary for proper functioning of the reel? And, does anyone know where I can find one because I would like to replace it?

alantani

the seal is not necessary.  any chance you have braid that is slipping on the spool?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pappy

Hi Alan,
Actually I got bit by a big size Yellowtail and while fighting it a seal grabbed ahold of it, I tightened the drag to hopefully pull it from the seal but no joy. Right after that the drag just wouldn't tighten. I suspect the rubber seal was obstructing something. I have taken the reel apart, cleaned it up and changed out the drags. Seems fine but I would have liked to put back all the parts if they were available.

Pappy

Alan, also, I do have braid then about 40 yards of a mono top shot.

Pappy

One other question, do you know the sizes of the reel bearings, I wanted to get a spare set for just incase because I'm always in Mexico fishing and would like to be able to repair the reel if a bearing blows.

Cor

I use a 40 HK and have never seen a small rubber seal where you indicate it.

Bearings are probably the same as this, but suggest you check yourself, no guarantees!
Saltiga 40 HK   
8 X 14 X 4   Outside shaft
7 X 14 X 4    Inside shaft
7 X 14 X 3.5   Inside shaft
4 X 11 X 4   Spool small
8 X 14 X 4   Spool large
5 X 8 X 2.5Handle
5 X 8 X 2   Handle

I can't say why I have two "inside shaft" perhaps both can work there.
Cornelis

alantani

The drive shaft looks good. Any chance that the threads on the star are damaged.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Pappy

When I took the reel apart and inspected everything, it was all in great shape. Maybe I over torqued the drag when I was trying to pull the fish from the seal or bust the line. I replaced the drags, cleaned everything up and it seems to be working. At least I'm getting about 18 pounds of drag according to my scale. The manufacturer states 22 lbs of drag so my scale could be off. I clean my reels really good so I was worried that, water would intrude without that seal.