Fishing Reels What +1 Means In The Bearing Count Explained

Started by The Fishing Hobby, April 17, 2019, 11:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

I put together a short video explaining what the +1 means as it relates to the bearing count in fishing reels. I know this seems obvious to some, but sometimes this terminology gets overlooked or misinterpreted. I thought I would clear it up for those who were unsure.
This board seemed like the most appropriate one to post this in because it relates to spinning and baitcast reels. If the post would fit in better in another board, please feel free to move it!

Tight lines!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Thanks, Kevin —

Nice video!

One thing I have noticed over the years —

90% of the time — the number of ball bearings or roller bearings in a reel — also relates directly to the amount of graphite or plastics the reel is constructed of...

Bearings are needed to support moving metallic components as they rotate in composite reels — as compared to sleeves, bushings — and 1-3 bearings in metal reels with steel, bronze, and cast or machined aluminum construction.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Nice explanation, Kevin.

I'm in agreement with Fred regarding the addition, seemingly over the last decade, of roller and ball bearings in spinning reels. Oilite bushings, also often referred as bearings, in well supported locations in well built metal bodies, were more than adequate at providing smooth and trouble free mechanics for decades. In all my years of messing with spinning reels I have never come across a worn or damaged Oilite, no matter the location or end use. I wish I could say that about ball or roller bearings. IMO the only location that warrants a ball bearing over an Oilite in a metal bodied spinning reel is the front pinion support. The number of ball bearings are there to impress the consumer and make up for design deficiencies. Oilites are virtually maintenance & trouble free.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

I'm in agreement with everyone on that topic. I prefer to use older reels because they are more durable. I have used some pretty nice newer ones too though...just wouldn't expect them to last 50+ years! Smoothness is what a lot of people mention when talking about modern reels (guilty myself)...but just thinking about it, less friction would be a better way to describe them. Hard to beat an old worm drive in terms of smoothness, but there is some friction there because of the bushings. I surveyed a bunch of different fish and they all agreed, it doesn't matter to them either way   ;D