Icy Bay Lodge trip, AK trip in 2019

Started by ksong, June 23, 2019, 12:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Looks like alot of fun,,,,great job my friend,,,,, ;D

conchydong

You are living the dream Kilsong. Wonderful trip. Thanks for taking us along.

ksong

Wed is non halibut day. You can not target halibut on Wed.  We did some sightseeing in the bay and put shrimp traps.
We fished black bass on jigs and we got limit ( 5 per person) within one hour.  We tried to jig king salmon for the rest of the day without success.

You don't have to buy ice here.

very rare silvergray rockfish

smnaguwa

Very nice. Is there a slot limit for lings?

ksong

Thursday
We looked for halibut today.  We fished close to the lodge.
The first spot produced 105 lb halibut by Mike using Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch jigging rod. Marshall lost big one again, but he got 94 lb halibut later using 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod.
Capt Mike moved the boat to the west in the afternoon and bites were on. We landed a few keeper king salmon on jigs too.
I don't know how many halibut I released there using ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod and IRT 500 DD reel.
Everyone was happy. :)

Mike's 105 lb halibut

my king salmon which took halibut jig.

Marshall's 94 lb halibut

Fred's king salmon

Mike's king salmon

using ultra light Black Hole Tai Special/IRT 500 DD reel

majestic St Elias

ksong

Friday
Today is the final day.
We opted to go offshore for big ling cod and possibly for big halibut.
We landed big ling cod and big yelloweye rockfish, but big halibut eluded us.
We went to halibut ground close to the lodge and had non-stop action of halibut in 10 lb - 40 lb range on small jigs with light tackle.
I used 4 oz diamond jig.
Everyone was happy. :)

Benni3

that looks like a amazing place,,,,, ;) and you got some big fish on the black hole rods great job my friend,,,,,,,, ;D

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

I really liked fishing with Kilsong out of Oregon inlet ,,,,,, :D he's great,,,I know this trip had to be a blast,,,,, ;D