Microskiff

Started by oc1, April 19, 2019, 08:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27615.msg318135#msg318135
On February 6th I said this thing would take a month to build.  Well, 2.5 months later it's as finished as it is going to be.  I always wanted to build a stich-and-glue boat but am over that now.  It's my first and last homemade boat.

It all started when my brother-in-law bought a little 2.5 hp 4-stroke Yamaha motor, left it here, and went home to Alaska.  He comes two or three times a year for business or pleasure and hated the fact that we have a fleet of canoes but don't have a motor boat.  He doesn't like to paddle and I swore I'd never have another motor boat.  But, he and the kids have been putting the little kicker on an old Hobie cat, or on a two-man outrigger canoe or on a three-man outrigger canoe or even a plastic pond/river style canoe.  In all cases it is either dangerous or just doesn't work well.  So, I made them a boat.

February 4th - no need for great accuracy with the cuts because the cracks are filled with epoxy thickened to a paste with Cabosil.  The filler is stronger than the wood

February 6th - stitch the panels together with cable ties then reinforce the seams inside and out with epoxy impregnated fiberglass tape.

February 12th - The cross frames and stringers provide strength and minimize flex

March 1st - Foam flotation in case it is ever needed.  The boat takes on a lot of water but is completely self bailing.

March 25st - 14 feet LOA with 48 inch beam

April 2nd - With flat bottom aft it only draws a couple of inches.  But a skeg is added to give it more bite on turns.

April 5th - A hatch was put in the foredeck for PFD's and such.

April 6th - Tripods on each end of the layup platform make it easy to flip the boat and work on the other side.

April 13th - The helmsman drives standing up with one hand on the console/handlebar thing and the other hand on a tiller extension.  The passenger sits on the cooler and leans back on the throwable life ring

April 13th - Instead of a trailer we have a little cart to wheel it down to the beach.

April 13th - The cart is backed up to a small seawall for launching.  The extension on the rear of the cart makes a little ramp to slide the boat down and, then later, back up over the seawall.

April 14th - The console/handlebar thing is epoxy impregnated fiberglass wound on a Divinicell foam core.

April 16th - I ran out of steam when it came to sanding and fairing to make a nice finish.  It looks OK from a distance if you squint your eyes, but up close is looks pretty rough.  They euphemistically call it a "workboat finish".

Designed by Jacques Mertens in Fort Pierce, FL.  These and many other sets of plans are sold through www.bateau.com
.  They also have pre-cut kits.

Mine is slightly over-built.  It took:
6 sheets of marine plywood (1/4" and 3/8")
4 gallons of marine epoxy
2 pounds Cabosil filler
1 gallon pour foam
a bunch of scrap polystyrene foam
200 ft. 6" fiberglass tape
5 yards 50" fiberglass cloth
2 quarts of acrylic paint
3 boxes nitrile gloves
paper cups, stir sticks, etc.

to make one small boat and three large bags of trash.
-steve

Darin Crofton

Awesome, Steve, great job man! Super-cool of you to do that for them, but we all know you'll wear that thing out when they're not around ;D ;D ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Tiddlerbasher

Steve that is one stunning build - very impressive my friend :o

conchydong

Nice work Steve.
The "pipe" cart trailer is impressive also.

Scott

1badf350

Whoa! Excellent work!!!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

My hats off to you, I HATE stitch and glue. Knowing where it will be used, that thing is going to be awesome. I'm seting out on a Gavin Atkin Julie skiff now that it has warmed up a little, isn't retirement grand.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Very impressive, Steve!!

How does she handle with the kicker screwed on?

Love the colors!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Fabulous work,,,,, :D  it looks fantastic and you built it yourself,,,,,,,, ;D

oldmanjoe

:o    I though you would have done some Neal down racing with the old champion  hot rods or the mercury marks 25 outboards  :)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

mo65

Way to go Steve! I just love the way you build whatever you want...you are super creative. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Fishy247

Very nice job! She looks good and they are gonna have a blast on it!

oc1

I forgot to take a photo with the little 2.5 hp motor attached.  Will do that to get a sense of scale.  

We did a sea trial this week with one and then two people to adjust the placement of the handlebar thing.  As expected, there is not enough motor to get it up on plane so it just putts along as a displacement hull.  The designer suggests about 8 hp.  I think being under-powered is a good thing because it will keep the kids (young men, really) from doing something stupid.  The stability and the way it takes chop and swell is OK so it does not feel tippy or dangerous.

One of the primary uses will be taking revelers to the weekly community party out at the Kaneohe Bay sand bar.  Things occasionally get a little out of hand there so DLNR law enforcement keep an eye on the place.  A micro skiff is sure to be a safety check magnet, and safety checks now include assessment of intoxication.  The Coast Guard colors and prominent throwable device were an attempt to give a subliminal impression that the driver might be a responsible citizen.

The next step is to get a state harbor master to certify it as a new home made boat so DLNR can issue a hull ID number and registration number.  

It's about an hour round trip by water to see the harbor master.  I had an appointment to do that yesterday but had to cancel when I couldn't get the motor to crank.  Turns out the gas can I used was unmarked but had a gas:oil mix for the chain saw,  No gas:oil in four-stroke engines so I'll spend the day trying to clean it all out.  Hopefully the spark plug and carburetor don't need too much work.

Personally, I would rather paddle and it is much quicker and easier to get a one-man canoe in and out of the water.  It's doubtful I'll ever use it.
-steve

Donnyboat

Times two Mike, super job again Steve, I hope your wife keeps a diary of you, it would make a super thick book, now theirs another project for you, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Maxed Out

Wow Steve, you really went all in on this build and a trailer too !!

The foam is great added floatation.

There once was an old dilapidated floating lodge in the Queen Charlottes that was taking on water to the point where someone decided they should spray styrofoam under the decking. It worked until one day the decking could no longer take the weight and the floorboards blew out and the lodge sank in a few short minutes

Not sure if there's any documentation of the event, but the lodge was named Sampson and it happened in the late 90's if I remember right
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!