Cedros 80S query

Started by mmmooretx, October 25, 2011, 01:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmmooretx

First of all, FANTASTIC site!  Already found assembly clues for the devil spring in a Penn 114 that has been driving me nuts.
I am seriously looking at an 80S so I can horse up Cobia (Ling) off of the rigs in the Gulf off of Houston before they cut the line on barnacles.  Any advice from the gurus Alantani or Reelspeed on set up on a new reel would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, tight lines,
Mike

alantani

are you talking about the cedros 80 spinning reel?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mmmooretx

alantani

i don't know if okuma as carbon fiber drag washers for these reels yet, but they are recommended.  otherwise, just load it with 65# spectra and button down the drag to 15 pounds.  that's your best hope.  alan

mmmooretx

Thanks Alan!  However one item that caught my eye on this particular spinner is that the max drag is 33 lbs. so it has a lot of spine.

alantani

yeah, but 33 pounds!  imagine hooking the belt loop of a squirelly 3 year old and then lifting.  um, and then you have to hold him up for 20 minutes!!!!!!

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on October 25, 2011, 05:45:49 PM
yeah, but 33 pounds!  imagine hooking the belt loop of a squirelly 3 year old and then lifting.  um, and then you have to hold him up for 20 minutes!!!!!!

Alan:  Finally a good example for people that want to set their drags in the high range.  Good mental picture also.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mmmooretx

Quote from: alantani on October 25, 2011, 05:45:49 PM

I think the mothers in the neighborhood would tar and feather me for that, even if I paid them a quarter, while telling them it is fun... :D

redsetta

x2 on Dominick's post (and Alan's metaphor).
It's easy to lose sight of what high drag pressures actually entail once you're hooked up.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

mmmooretx

Quote from: redsetta on October 25, 2011, 11:44:14 PM
x2 on Dominick's post (and Alan's metaphor).
It's easy to lose sight of what high drag pressures actually entail once you're hooked up.

I understand your point.  I do fish from a 15.5' kayak so you usually get drug around (Texas Sleigh Ride), unless it goes down and at a mile out it is only 50' deep.  Also I do not plan on my initial setting being there unless I am right next to a rig fishing for Cobia (Ling).  40-50" is not unusual and they love to cut lines on the barnacles. I am looking for capability. 
Thanks for your input.
Mike

redsetta

Fair enough Mike - sounds like great fishing in the Lone Star state.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

JGB

Welcome Mike,

The CJ80 as well as many other spinners  (Stella)that boast super high drag suffer from frame and rotor flexure. What this means is that the rotor will start to rub on the spool as the spool moves up and down. This happens on the CJ80 at around 20# where the rotor will touch the spool skirt. If you wish to use drag setting above 12# I recommend using a short rod (5.5-6') or a rod that has a lot of bend in it. Reason is it is difficult to rest a spinning rod unless you turn it upside down. if you must pull hard then palm the spool and point the rod. I tried it the other way (7' 50# rod withe rod at 45 degrees 12# drag) and I got beat up real bad. Estimated 70# YFT that eventually wrapped me on the rudder. I'm still trying to find the proper spinning technique.

FYI I now fish the VS80 reel with a Al rotor and it handles 30# with out rotor contact. You will still need to update the drags to carbon.  Use a Okuma Soltera drag disk #16110050 and cut the OD to 2.475" on the bottom of the spool. Use Smoothdrag Carbontex for the Stradic 6000 for the upper drag disks. This is for both the CJ80 and  the VS80.

Jim N.

Bryan Young

Three HT-100 #6-7000 and custom cut 40 X 63 mm carbon drags.  I think this was from Carbontex, washer for a TLD 20/30 two speed drag.

It's what is installed in Alan's Cedros 80.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JGB

Was talking to Okuma and I brought up the discussion on carbon drags in the salt water spinners. they suggested that we consider the up coming RAW II in the size 80. Features a medium speed, Al rotor and stock dual drag in carbon fiber. sounds like everything we want. Should become available in a month or two.