Yukon 46" workbench

Started by Alto Mare, April 19, 2019, 05:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Sal: I was writing to you to say something about the lathe when my computer went down :( $600.00 later I'm up again :o Don't ask!

But like Rudy said you can set your compound to make tapers, just dived by 2 for the taper you want. You can also in the future get a taper attachment for longer tapers.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Steve, I removed as much as I could before taking it in the basement, I believe about 125 lbs, it was still heavy though.

By the way, I couldn't afford this lathe, but monthly payments makes it possible.

Rudy, I noticed the tailstock  has adjustments for tapers, I'm sure I will eventually get the hang of it.

Just turned a piece of acetate, just to see and I'm not crazy about the mess it makes. I will be turning that stuff with the wood lathe.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Sal, I wouldn't mess with offsetting the tail stock. They can sometimes be a real pain & time consuming resetting back to exact 0. Check with a scale to see how much travel you have with the compound slide from all the way back to all the way forward. It's not usually in the position as shown in your photo, it is usually kept offset to clear the tailstock. It's usually set straight for shipping purposes.

mhc

Nice set up Sal, I'm looking forward to seeing what you create with it - and maybe just a little envious.  :)

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on April 21, 2019, 02:29:52 AM
Sal, I wouldn't mess with offsetting the tail stock. They can sometimes be a real pain & time consuming resetting back to exact 0. Check with a scale to see how much travel you have with the compound slide from all the way back to all the way forward. It's not usually in the position as shown in your photo, it is usually kept offset to clear the tailstock. It's usually set straight for shipping purposes.
Thank you Rudy.
I do tilt the top slider when cutting, depending on the angle of the cutter I'll keep it square when face cut if it works best.
I read recommendations, but I'll also try different ways for myself just to see.
Quote from: mhc on April 21, 2019, 12:56:47 PM
Nice set up Sal, I'm looking forward to seeing what you create with it - and maybe just a little envious.  :)

Mike
Mike, I could just imagine what you would do with one of these. :)

Thanks guys!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Sal, that looks like a PM-1022V - a mighty fine machine (way outside my pay grade :()

Alto Mare

I just got done fixing it, I had all the gears off.
The power feed stopped working, I read to lower the speed before shifting into forward, or reverse.
maybe I got that wrong, I will read some more.
The keyed insert snapped, of course it took me 3 hours to find it, this is all new to me.
But it was a good experience.
It is nice to be able to maintain the tool if needed, this one is pretty manageable, I think it will do just fine.

It will be used for personal pleasure, I will not be building a reel, or anything like that🙂
Thanks Chris!

Sal

Tiddlerbasher

Not yet maybe - but never say never Sal ;D

oc1

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 21, 2019, 01:47:25 PM
I do tilt the top slider when cutting, depending on the angle of the cutter I'll keep it square when face cut if it works best.
You have to learn a whole new vocabulary and lingo with this stuff.
-steve

handi2

Great Sal. Now get back to work!

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

Sal; Like the man said. "Never say never". You will be surprised at how fast you catch on to the lathe and what you can do.

If you want to learn there is plenty of literature out there on the operation of lathes.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

bhale1

yep...never say never... i foresee aluminum knobs and sideplates in Sal's future  ;D
Brett

Alto Mare

After some time, I can finally move around my workshop...lot's of room now.

Found the best spot for my lathe and it really gets out of the way. I did not realize how big it was when I purchased it on line, it was taking up lots of space.
It's all good now.

I was also able to level it with zero movement, something not easy to do with a free stand unit. It's wedged in there :).

Other areas also got organized, I feel much better now.

I know it won't last long, but will try to keep at it as I move along.

Best,

Sal

foakes

I know it won't last long, but will try to keep at it as I move along.

That looks beautiful, Sal!

Very well planned out and functional.  It is good to work with a system awhile before setting more permanent pieces in place -- benches, most used tools, lesser used but necessary tools, parts, etc.

Then there is a staging area -- sort of like an "on-deck" circle in baseball, before a reel goes to the main work area just like a player heading up to bat.

Then a dedicated cleaning area so that the main benches do not get cruddy and messy with cleaners and such.

Then a main work area with a place to put back every tool needed -- ready for next time -- without getting out of your chair or off the stool.

Bagging and shipping area --

Then you are ready for the next reel in line.

My best friends in the shops are called Mr. Vertical, Mr. Label, Mr. White Pegboard, and Mr. Taco Bell trays.

Then, plenty of wastebaskets, paper towels, broom, shop brush, dust pan.

For me, if I have not used a tool for the last 12 months of steady work -- it goes into the outside shop so as not to take up room in the main shop.  Clutter is another word for confusion and time wasted.

As a professional's professional, Sal -- you already know the value of organization in your work.

Sort of like a doctor -- last thing you want to hear when on the table -- "now where is that number 2 laser thingy? -- just saw it around here last week".

You've got this, Sal -- and your shop looks great!  Efficient work flow, good tools, parts labeled and put away, clean, useful, and professional.

And, you are right -- the shop is never done -- it always keeps improving and evolving -- just like each of us.

Your shop looks like a pleasure to be in.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mhc

Looking good Sal, the lathe work area has plenty of light, there's heaps of storage space in the library card cabinets, drill press, belt sander, press, .............. and two chairs! - I'm on my way.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.