285 Finessa

Started by basto, April 20, 2019, 12:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrgriz and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

basto

This could be my most durable spinner.

I like the removable side plates and extra screws at the rear and on the badge.

The spool is metal and two things that are also metal are the pawl for the line out alarm on the spool and the spool cap.
Even my 3001 has plastic for those parts.

The drag is quite simple but is adequate and durable for its intended line weight.I found it would probably be good for even ultra light lines given its sensitivity and range.

Did you notice the body and side plates are painted on the inside also.

I like this reel very much.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

I've been on the fence about picking up a Finessa...you're convincing me Greg. Great looking rock solid reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

Cool looking reel, Greg!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

basto

Quote from: mo65 on April 20, 2019, 01:38:36 AM
   I've been on the fence about picking up a Finessa...you're convincing me Greg. Great looking rock solid reel. 8)

You would love it Mo.

basto

Quote from: Darin Crofton on April 20, 2019, 03:12:43 AM
Cool looking reel, Greg!

Yes Darin, I like the 330 and 331 that came after this 285 and the 280, as Fred has told us.
I believe the 280 first appeared in 1956 and the 285 in 1960. Then the 330 and 331 in 1967.
I got a great deal on this one from Canada. Very happy. I really like the look of the first model 280...hmmmmm?
Greg

foakes

You guys are pretty sharp...

Few folks know the quality and functionality of these durable old DQ Finessas.

As soon as you disassemble it — the overkill frame reinforcement, attention to balance, metal spool, simple and foolproof A/R at every 45 degrees on the main gear, combination of metals working together for smoothness as well as longevity — are evident to knowing reel-smiths.

No, they are not sexy, not a lot of bling, old school, and a dull reel compared to the latest Tupperware marvels coming out of Asia today.  However, IMO, it is impossible to fault a reel that is 60+ years old — with tolerances designed at a half Mil — and after a service and restore — the tolerances are still at a half Mil — and the reel is ready for another 60 years of reliable service.

For those of you who know engines — sort of like the old Ford 300 CI Straight Six.  Cast iron block heavier than a V8 — giant crank anchored by (7) main bearings, timing gear (not chains or belts), not a speed demon — but the low end torque and power to pull logs uphill when coupled with the right gears.

These Finessas are a 330 size reel.  They came out at a time when DQ was offering the Super 270 also.  The 270 was a big, tough spinning reel, designed for the Salt as well as the canals of Europe — where fish in the range of 40-60 pounds were the target.  But anglers wanted a smaller reel — but with the capabilities of a winch — so the Finessa (more finesse, more refined, smaller) was designed by the same engineers who brought us the SW68 & 270 Super — then a little later, the Microlite 265.  All of these reels had two things in common — their toughness and quality.

I service and restore these — and the only thing needed to improve them (and it is not even necessary, but I like it) is a CF greased with Cal's in place of the factory resistex drag washer.

These will handle Steelhead, Trout, Bass, Large Salmon, heavy Cats, Stripers, Walleye, Pike, big Carp, Muskies, and other game fish.  Some folks use these for the Salt — but like any reel used in the Salt — more regular service is required.

A true workhorse, and an example of an era when tools were manufactured to last past a person's lifetime.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Fred
When I got my first DAM reel, a 220, in about 1983, I did not really know how good it was and did not appreciate it as much as it deserved.
Well I have learnt a lot about DAM reels since then, thanks mainly to you.
I now have 6 of these reels and value them greatly.
Thanks again Fred.
Greg

festus

Wow, Greg, that's the best looking Finessa I've seen.  The Finessa 285 was the first DAM Quick I ever did a complete overhaul.  I let my stepson cast it a few times and he also said that it was was the strongest, most well built spinning reel he'd ever seen.  Not really much to go wrong with one of these.  Of course one might get dropped and the reel foot breaks or a handle or bail wire gets bent. 

Darin Crofton

Is there a big difference in the Finessa 280 & 285? Seems like there's more of the 280's around? Thanks!

basto

Quote from: Darin Crofton on April 20, 2019, 09:39:51 PM
Is there a big difference in the Finessa 280 & 285? Seems like there's more of the 280's around? Thanks!

Darin
I can only speak for their outside appearance, but from what I can see the handles, handgrips and colour of the spool caps can vary.
Some 280 reels I have seen also have different colours on the body parts.
Fred or Tommy would be able to tell you a lot more.
Greg

foakes

No major differences, Darin —

This was my response to a member a year, or so, back —

There were 4 variations in these reels ranging from the early 280 to the latest 285's — which transitioned to the 330 a few years later.

Mostly just drag and crank knob colors, crank style, serial numbers or not, sideplate paint styles, under rotor metal cover, etc...

Most all parts will interchange.

In November 1956 the Quick Standard was succeeded by the Quick Finessa 280, which was followed by the Quick Finessa 285 in 1960. The Quick Finessa 285 eventually became the Quick Finessa 330 in 1967. This reel was the basis of the famous Quick Finessa 110-550 series of the sixties.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Also the Finessa 280 didn't have the quick pop off spool.  Well, I'm not sure all 280 had this type spool.  Fred probably knows.

nagant

Fred wrote (For those of you who know engines — sort of like the old Ford 300 CI Straight Six.  Cast iron block heavier than a V8 — giant crank anchored by (7) main bearings, timing gear (not chains or belts), not a speed demon — but the low end torque and power to pull logs uphill when coupled with the right gears.) Yeah like if Mercedes made jeeps, precise, tough, over built!
Brice

Darin Crofton

Thanks for the info guys, I have a couple Dam's and trying to learn more about these tough reels!

basto

One thing I wish DAM had kept on their 330, 331, 3000, 3001 and 3002 models is the screw at the rear of the sideplate.
I can see daylight between the plate and the body on my 331 and 330 and 3001 at this point on those reels.
Yes, I know it is a trivial thing, but makes me appreciate the 280,285 build.

I must add that I just received an early 330 that has the same 4 screw side plates as the 285, but not the metal spool.