285 Finessa

Started by basto, April 20, 2019, 12:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I have never seen that before, Greg —

Maybe something is bent or not tight, or too tight.

Can you show us a few photos?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Or maybe I have not put enough grease on the inside of those plates.
I will take those pics Fred.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

foakes

Grease is only useful for stemming water intrusion — there should not be any daylight shining through the reels you mentioned unless something is not right, Greg.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

The 331 is in very good condition. The other two, not as good, but fine working reels.

none of the sideplate screws are under tightened or over tightened.

Greg

Midway Tommy

Without seeing the whole reel, or body area, I'm thinking the side plates have gotten warped some how. If it were me, I would put a thin piece of wood, like a popsicle stick or a little thicker, under each end of the sideplate with the sideplate face down, and with a small block of wood just the size of the sideplate at the screw hole on the inside of the sideplate, being careful not to hit it too hard, lightly hit the block of wood with a hammer to try to cup the sideplate so that the front and rear both seat on tight onto the body. If there's a little gap in the center the screw will easily make that tight. If you warm the sideplate up with a hairdryer first it should bend a little easier.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Tommy has the right answer, Greg...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

basto

Thanks Tommy and Fred. I was expecting to get a "me too" reply or two, but now I am a little concerned, as Fred said he has never seen this before. I only own 5 DAM reels and the other two are my 270 and 285 and we know this can't happen to them. I will keep you posted.
cheers
Greg

foakes

Right, Greg —

Not trying to impress anyone — quite the opposite — just stating observations based on quite a bit of DQ experience over 40+ years.  However, I may have worked on a few thousand of these over the years, and still have around 400 DQ's of most models in the storage bins — and even on the roughest examples — have never seen this. Currently have 11 on the bench that were completely restored for clients last week, along with another 18 that are still in line that have not hit the bench yet.

The way the sideplates mate with the frame — does not normally allow this bending.  It is tight and exact.

Possibly, the only thing that occurs to me is someone tried to pry these off when they were either stuck with dried grease, or salt encrusted.

In those cases, I use an old dull pocketknife set into the mating break — with a dense rubber platform pad — and a hammer to tap the top of the blade to break the seal.

Your examples are kind of weird — but try to straighten them out as Tom suggested, a little at a time until they are back to square.

If by some chance, you ruin the plates — I may have some extras to send to you — at least for the 330 & 331 — N/C.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

basto

Thanks for your help Fred. I'm sure I can get them right with the hair dryer and a little softly softly with the rubber hammer.
I know the 3001 and the 330 did not have an easy life.
best regards
Greg

mo65

I finally scored a pretty clean Finessa. Man...is that oscillation arm screw tiny or what? Had to break out the trusty Teeny Turner. Inside was the usually waxy brown grease. All parts appeared to be present and accounted for until I got to the spool. The drag stack looked wrong...no wonder...it's a 330 spool! Oh well, it looks good, I suppose I'll run across the correct spool some day. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

I just "made a deal" on a Finessa, too... . your reel looks to be in a LOT better shape, Mo !!  This will be my first Dam....and I'm starting with a real "basket case" :D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Quote from: Crow on October 13, 2019, 10:51:25 PM
   I just "made a deal" on a Finessa, too... . your reel looks to be in a LOT better shape, Mo !!  This will be my first Dam....and I'm starting with a real "basket case" :D

They are pretty straight forward Arlyn. About the only stumbling block on these is the handle pin. Don't rush into it. Follow Fred's advise to remove it, there are many threads in the Quick section discussing the dreaded pin.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

No worries there, Mo....it doesn't HAVE a handle  :D...I told you it was a "basket case"  :P
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

Looks like a line roller and nut might be in order, too !  I'm just hoping the "innards" are all there ::)

foakes

280/285 spools are metal.

330 spools are plastic.

However, they interchange with no issues.

The 330 took the place of the Finessa -- same size -- most parts will work on both -- with a few exceptions.

When the 330 series came out -- it soon included the 110, 220, 221, 331, 440, and 550.

This new series effectively eliminated the 265 Microlite, 238, 240 Junior, 248, Finessa 285, and the 270 Super.

The 110, 221, and 331 are all high speed 1:5 versions -- compared to the standard 1:3 ratios of the others.

When you guys figure out what you need -- glad to help provide parts, if needed.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.