Question.?

Started by gstours, April 01, 2019, 06:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

I use cable, but only the good stainless braided wire not the twisted crap. Braid is better for deep fishing for sure, but since where I fish we rarely go deeper than 100 feet (mostly 55 to 65 feet)........ I go old school and stay with the wire. I like the "singing" wire while trolling away. It fishes well on my boat, but if you suspect electrical leaks then for sure go with braid.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

David Hall

Scotty's will still give you auto stop with braid using their little plastic stops.  Canons lose the function entirely when spooled with braid.  So it's stainless braid for now and I'm going to research to find a way to slow the mother speed without burning it up.

Hardy Boy

I use a swivel not the stoppers and a length of heavy mono to the ball. The stoppers slide and can be a pain. The swivel does not slide and stop every time.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

David Hall

With my canons I rig a dubro shock kit on top then a swivel, then my release then a rubber snubber above the weight.

gstours

I was told that the Scotty braid marketed is even larger diameter than the wire.  Personally I like the wire, it sings and makes you cuss at the same time.   You can easily Lind a bead and crimps up the wire where you want a 🛑 or an attachment point for a release clip.    Scotty has information in there site about measuring wire line voltage.  Just go.   The fish can't wait 😊.

David Hall

I rig this at the terminal end of my cable, then attach my chamberlain release, then a scotty snubber then my cannonball.  if autostop fails and occasionally it does and the rigging slams into the end of the downrigger, this little device gives it a bit of cushioning.

Tightlines667

I have been running 135lb Stainless Steel cable w/a 12lb ball, but 200lb dacron seems to work great on the planers.  I am actually thinking of switching to Dacron and 32 oz planer boards instead of lead to try to get deeper at higher speeds.  I just cut a short section of fuel line and rig it as a stopper on top of the swivel.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

gstours

Stopper for an electric down rigger?  Swivel then tube?  At the ball?  What type of shock cord?  I generally use a piece of halibut gannian with a couple of knots in it to aid in gripping the cord, and sometimes snap in a release there, or add an extra bare flasher.   Just wondering.     Thanks. :)

David Hall

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 21, 2019, 08:07:32 PM
I have been running 135lb Stainless Steel cable w/a 12lb ball, but 200lb dacron seems to work great on the planers.  I am actually thinking of switching to Dacron and 32 oz planer boards instead of lead to try to get deeper at higher speeds.  I just cut a short section of fuel line and rig it as a stopper on top of the swivel.

John

okay sounds interesting but I need pictures , show em if you can.

Tightlines667

Quote from: David Hall on April 22, 2019, 04:24:11 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 21, 2019, 08:07:32 PM

John

okay sounds interesting but I need pictures , show em if you can.

I don't use electrics any more, so the rubber lone is just insurance against overenthusiastic mates.  It probablh doesn't work as well as your setup on the autosrop function, but it is simple. 

I like Gary's idea of spicing in a short section of cord above the weight to give you something to grab easily when swinging the ball back aboard.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

I fished cable for 20+ years and it needed replacing once a year. It would kink and Frey and rust and decay. I was stubborn to change, but finally did about 15 years ago and never looked back... the spectra lasts 6-8 years of heavy use with 15# balls. I get my 200# spectra at local shop. $99 for a 600yd spool. In comparison, the cable is much more expensive and has much shorter lifespan

Cannon downriggers need cable to function properly. Some people prefer that. Maybe someday they will enter the modern era and offer spectra friendly options too
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 22, 2019, 10:35:01 PM
I fished cable for 20+ years and it needed replacing once a year. It would kink and Frey and rust and decay. I was stubborn to change, but finally did about 15 years ago and never looked back... the spectra lasts 6-8 years of heavy use with 15# balls. I get my 200# spectra at local shop. $99 for a 600yd spool. In comparison, the cable is much more expensive and has much shorter lifespan

Cannon downriggers need cable to function properly. Some people prefer that. Maybe someday they will enter the modern era and offer spectra friendly options too

maybe but im not going to hold my breath waiting for them.

Keta

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 22, 2019, 10:35:01 PM
I get my 200# spectra at local shop. $99 for a 600yd spool.

Good price.  I use JB hollow and at my price it's a few $ more, but it's hollow.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain