Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Like Chief Dan George said..."They ain't fer fishin', they're fer, lookin' at". While these reels might not be anyone's first choice to get wet, they offer some great fun for much less than a Penn 716 Greenie. I picked up these three misfits for under $50...shipped!
  They are pictured below, as received. A Zebco Surflite 860, a South Bend 730A, and a Daiwa 7250 HRLA.

These are the type of inner workings that beguile most of these reels to the junk heap. Nobody likes alloy and pot metal parts. They scare folks. Tell ya what, it only hurts for a second. Just touch the parts, you'll get used to them. :D

On this South Bend box they describe the gears as "precision coined metal" Doesn't coined mean stamped? Interesting...I thought they were all just cast.

This photo of the Surflite 860's innards demonstrates how you build a strong B-grade reel.

This pic of the SB 730A shows that simplicity is how you build a money making B-grade reel.

The 7250 HRLA is proof a B-grade reel can be smooth. With a ball bearing on the pinion and oilite bushings on the main shaft, it feels much like it's higher priced peers.

They look great all cleaned up. What else does a shelf queen need to do? Feel free to share any misfits you might be proud of. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Ron Jones

At the end of the day, they all catch fish.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Don't put down that Zebco 860, Mike —

When you take it apart — and fish it — you will find it to be an excellent quality reel from the 50's.

And that Surflite 860 may be a little rare — I am not sure...

Same as an old Langley.

Tommy knows the quality of these.

I also have a couple of those little Daiwa 7250HRLA's — and one is in my personal arsenal — and is a pleasure to fish on a 5.6' Fenwick or Eagle Claw rod.  Solid quality.  All metal.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Darin Crofton

Nice clean up, Mike, I have one of those south bends in a box somewhere.
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mo65

Quote from: foakes on April 20, 2019, 06:29:06 PM
When you take it apart — and fish it — you will find it to be an excellent quality reel from the 50's.

Oh I agree Fred...that new blue grease in there is mine. The only thing that puts me off on the Zebco/Langley models is that darn AR. Only stops top dead center. That backplay drives me mad.

I also have a couple of those little Daiwa 7250HRLA's — and one is in my personal arsenal — and is a pleasure to fish on a 5.6' Fenwick or Eagle Claw rod.  Solid quality.  All metal.

Now this one was a new one to me. I think the only other Daiwa spinner I've had was the old Jupiter J-13. I like this 7250 too Fred.

Gfish

When it comes down to it, I guess ya just gotta take 'em apart and see what ya can.
I like Zebco's check points on the box. For example, what's a "Diamond hard line roller" supposed to mean? Musta measured it against very low grade diamond. Sounds pretty good when you say it, though.

As always Mo, yer giving me ideas; order a batch of old reels, have some fun with 'em and then donate or give to friends/kids, the ones you don't wanna keep.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on April 20, 2019, 07:06:01 PM
As always Mo, yer giving me ideas; order a batch of old reels, have some fun with 'em and then donate or give to friends/kids, the ones you don't wanna keep.

Funny you should mention that G...that was my original intention! Only now...I ain't partin' ways with none of these! ;D

festus

B-grades are fun, many can be found for 10 bucks or less plus shipping on the big auction.  South Bend, Heddon, Compac, King Neptune, Fjord, Diamond, Ryobi, etc. all served a purpose.  I don't like to take my lookers to some of my bank fishing spots because of rip-rap and mud.  This morning I got an old thirty year old Daiwa 130X through the mail, pot metal and all.  Wasn't really fond of the teflon (or maybe nylon or plastic) bushings on the main gear, but the only other plastic is the handle knob and drag nut. 

Fine looking set of reels, Mo.  One of these days I may break down and buy a Greenie, but I'll have to see it in the flesh and give it a good inspection before pulling the trigger.  They're scarce in this part of the country.

mo65

Quote from: festus on April 20, 2019, 08:30:23 PM
This morning I got an old thirty year old Daiwa 130X through the mail, pot metal and all.  Wasn't really fond of the teflon (or maybe nylon or plastic) bushings on the main gear, but the only other plastic is the handle knob and drag nut. 

Are the main gear bushings really teflon? I saw a few 130 schematics and they called the bushings "bearing metal". That's not a bad looking reel Chester.

1badf350

Good haul Mo! You know, those South Bend spinners are really growing on me.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

handi2

Fred if you PM me your mailing address I have some goodies I want to send to you.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

festus

Quote from: mo65 on April 21, 2019, 09:19:52 PM
Quote from: festus on April 20, 2019, 08:30:23 PM
This morning I got an old thirty year old Daiwa 130X through the mail, pot metal and all.  Wasn't really fond of the teflon (or maybe nylon or plastic) bushings on the main gear, but the only other plastic is the handle knob and drag nut. 

Are the main gear bushings really teflon? I saw a few 130 schematics and they called the bushings "bearing metal". That's not a bad looking reel Chester.
These are some type of plastic, nylon, teflon, or delrin maybe, but they could easily be replaced by metal bushings or bearings.  My reel is missing part 28 or 372-8600, rotor washer, but it doesn't seem to affect its cranking. These reels are going cheap, saw one for six bucks go unsold on the auction this morning. 

Midway Tommy

And that Surflite 860 may be a little rare — I am not sure...

Same as an old Langley.

Tommy knows the quality of these.

Best,

Fred

The 860 isn't real rare. As Fred & Mike have said, they are all very purpose capable reels if they haven't been abused or have broken parts. Take good care of them and they'll catch fish for a long, long, time.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: festus on April 21, 2019, 11:00:14 PM
These reels(the Daiwa 130 X) are going cheap, saw one for six bucks go unsold on the auction this morning. 

I need one like I need a hole in my head, but I snatched an A-130 RL today. How could I resist for 11 bucks?  :-\

Diverting back to the original three reels I posted, I cleaned and compared the drag stacks. All three are single friction disc designs, and while the 860 and 730A are functional, the only one that really impressed me was the little 7250 HRLA. Within it's range, the pot metal spool sleeve is plenty strong. The coil spring gives a lot more range than a simple wave washer, and the little guy is smooth!  8)

steelfish

the last pic looks like aint no B-grade reels in there.
great work Mo. 

I must recond that I also have my set of B-grade spinning reels that I take when fishing from the shore on sand or rocky pier for small sandbass, etc. a bunch of shakespeares, old daiwas, some chinese penn reels, etc that get the work done
mostly are the reels I keep for my kids to use or as loaners for friends with no fishing gear.
The Baja Guy