Collecting B-Grade Spinning Reels

Started by mo65, April 20, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

Quote from: mo65 on November 19, 2019, 05:23:07 PM...they seem to have more features I like in a spinner.(internal bail trip, spool sleeve, larger drags) I must be sick in the head...I enjoy studying schematics as much as restoring the reels!

sounds like a Whisker -- Daiwa's still makin' 'em w/ few changes,

but the old Japanese ones must be in/pushin' their 40's

for decades, the SS-750 was (still is?) the only UL w/ tall spool & 6-stack

(worm oscillation, if you don't mind that)

festus

The reel in the middle is a Daiwa SS No. 1.  The other two are Daiwa 1000C.  They look to be built identical other than the anti-reverse lever and handle cover screw made of metal on the No.1.  Other than this, they are probably the same reels.  We'll find out whenever I take it apart for service.

These reels are smooth enough to be rated A, but considering the metal of the main gear, I give them a B.

mo65

Nice little reel Chester...I was checking them out on fleabay...they're kind pricey for a "B". I guess if you think about it, most folks don't care if a reel has gears able to tow a car. Many folks love the pot metal geared reels. That soft metal also makes them feel smooth when cranked. But...I agree with you...she's a fine B.
   I've been studying these Daiwa 70s-80s reels, and some of them are hard to call a B. Especially ones like this 1600X. It has a large 3-stack drag, solid spool sleeve, nice big bronze bushings on the main, and an AR ratchet ahead of the gear mesh. This build protects the soft gear, and makes it hard to slap a B-Grade on it.8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

That's an ultralight reel, the ss-1, right? Perhaps the light-weight softer metal gear is fine for that application.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

Quote from: Gfish on November 28, 2019, 10:58:02 PM
That's an ultralight reel, the ss-1, right? Perhaps the light-weight softer metal gear is fine for that application.
Yep, they were considered ultralight back in the day.  The 1000C and SS No. 1 weigh a hair under 8 oz but they're built very sturdy.

Daiwa made two even smaller ultralights, the 500C and the 700C.  I ordered a 500C and it should be here tomorrow. Might possibly be the smallest spinning reel l've ever owned.

philaroman

I was on threadlining.com -- a very nice XUL Forum that got eaten up by bots
(big kudos to Boss+Mods, for keeping the SOBs out)
Daiwa's 1/100/1000-size wasn't really thought of as UL
not sure if it was the "well over 7 oz." weight
or the fact that Daiwa made so many smaller reels
(some, much smaller)...  500-850, GS-0 (GS-00?), MiniMite, etc.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on November 29, 2019, 07:16:02 AM
I was on threadlining.com -- a very nice XUL Forum that got eaten up by bots
(big kudos to Boss+Mods, for keeping the SOBs out)
Daiwa's 1/100/1000-size wasn't really thought of as UL
not sure if it was the "well over 7 oz." weight
or the fact that Daiwa made so many smaller reels
(some, much smaller)...  500-850, GS-0 (GS-00?), MiniMite, etc.

I think reel size designation could be relative to body size. I would never be able to efficiently operate one of those mini size reels.  ::) My clubby digits would always be getting in the way.  :D 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

I've always considered reels 8 ounces or lighter an ultralight, but after checking out a Daiwa 500C that came in the mail this morning, I may change my mind.

Here is a Daiwa 1000C side-by-side with a D-A-M Quick 265 Microlite. They weigh about the same.

Here is a Daiwa 1000C side-by-side with a Daiwa 500 C.  The 1000C weighs 3 ounces more.

BTW, I came across another B-grade spinner, the Pflueger 1122.  It reminds me of some of the Shakespeares.  It's in good shape and ready to fish, but I'll do a look inside in a day or two.

oc1

Phil, I don't find anything at that wed address.

Chester, so you're saying the 500C weighs 5 ounces?

I love small reels.
-steve

philaroman

Quote from: oc1 on November 29, 2019, 08:23:03 PM

...it started around fans of XUL-Joe-Robinson-style: http://piscatorialabsurdities.com/1.html
...then, evolved into all things UL
...then, got bombarded by Russian bots & died, many years ago
...and, the book is out of print
:'( :'( :'(

festus

Quote from: oc1 on November 29, 2019, 08:23:03 PM

Chester, so you're saying the 500C weighs 5 ounces?

I love small reels.
-steve
Steve--
Yes, on my scales the Daiwa 500C weighs 5.04 oz without line.  I have a Pflueger Trion I'm going to give to my granddaughter that's the smallest reel I've owned prior to this.  It weighs 5.9 oz.  The same size Pflueger President weighs 6.2 oz. 

This little Daiwa has a line capacity of 140 yds of 2 lb mono, 85 yds of 4 lb mono, and 65 yds of 6 lb mono.  2 or 4 lb mono would be about right.  I've used 2 lb. mono in the past in snag-free ponds for bream.  Those little 1-1/2" Rebel Crickhoppers in yellow, green, or brown and Rebel 1-1/2" floating minnows in rainbow trout pattern are deadly.

Midway Tommy

The foremost authority on vintage and collectible open faced spinning reels, and my good friend, the late Ben Wright (may you RIP Ben), states in his last book (2011 Edition Value Guide) that there was no weight-to-size industry standard.

He lists this chart as a guide:
"Weight                              Size Designation
0-4 oz.                               Bantam or Featherweight
5-7 oz.                               Ultra-lite
8-9 oz.                               Light size
10-13 oz.                           Meddium size
14 oz.+                              Large/Heavy duty"

So, based on the chart a 7.99 oz reel would be considered an ultra-lite.

He then states: "This, however, was not used by all manufacturers. Some manufactures simply used the term ultra-lite to specify the smallest open face spinning reel they manufactured." He then gave this example: "The Penn model No. 716 weighs approximately 8.5 oz. but was advertised as ultra-lite spinning reel."

He goes on to say some use physical size as a determination, while others use line capacity, and again states: "there is no set standard.....therefore, you can be the judge."  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

I just go by the line, using a basic decent mono like TrileneXL, as a benchmark:
if a reel is more suitable for 2 lb., than it is for 6 lb. -- it's a UL
if a reel is more suitable for 6 lb., than it is for 2 lb. -- it's a Light
that's how it still works in my mind, even though I've mostly switched to braid

Quote from: festus on November 29, 2019, 10:24:48 PM
...This little Daiwa has a line capacity of 140 yds of 2 lb mono, 85 yds of 4 lb mono, and 65 yds of 6 lb mono.  2 or 4 lb mono would be about right.  I've used 2 lb. mono in the past in snag-free ponds for bream...

instead of regular mono try the bulk (guide-size) 100m/100yd tippet spools
5X should test >4lb. & the thinner diameter of pre-stretched may allow you to get the whole spool onto a 500c
6X w/ backing would give you same diameter as 2 lb., but test closer to 3 lb. w/ better quality/uniformity

mo65

These 6000 series Zebcos get a pretty good report from most folks. Understandably...since they are a solid feeling reel when serviced or new. I have heard mention several times that they were basically the same reel as the previous Sterling series, just a different paint job. Without opening the reel you'd go along with that notion alright.
   Then I popped the side plate off this 6010 and the education began.:o  There isn't much at all in common with a Sterling in this thing. The first photo calls out a few differences. The blue arrow indicates that the spool clicker has become plastic. The green arrows point to the drive gear shaft bushings...or lack thereof. There's only one, it's cast in the side plate. The red arrow shows that the anti-reverse has moved from out front to behind the gear mesh. The drive gear shaft is no longer steel, but machined from the cast gear, illustrated by the white arrow. Despite all these "down grades" the 6000 series reels still have a fantastic feel. I've said it before...Zebco were sorcerers!
   The yellow arrow points out a bent part, the spool shaft pin. The second photo shows how I straightened it. I bent slow and grit my teeth...LOL! Don't tell anybody, but if it broke I was going to sub in a small nail! :P
   The third photo is all the parts cleaned and ready to reassemble. The drag set up is that tiny Teflon 3-stack. It's probably the perfect light action drag system. I seriously doubt you could make a reel this solid from fewer parts...the designer was a genius.
   Last but not least, a pic of the finished reel. It appears the 6000 series is yet another decent B-Grade spinner flying under the radar. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Great job on that, Mo.  I have the 6020, one size up from the 6010.  Good reels, I wonder if Zebco had in mind of competing with the gold Daiwas back in the day. 

Did you weigh the reel, Mo?  There is also an ultraight Zebco 6000 that appears to be about the same size as a D-A-M 265 or Daiwa 1000C.